Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was just wondering if anyone had any definite info on whether or not the EcoTec 5.3 is an LS motor? No guesses or assumptions please....someone who actually knows for sure. Just curious and wanted to know, thanks in advance

· Supr Moderator AutoTech SS-Guru Mbr Extraordinaire
2015 High Country Duramax
20,657 Posts
About the only thing the new ecotech motors share with the older ls based motors is the displacement.

· Registered
2017 Silverado LTZ Z71
5,360 Posts
Negative Ghost Rider, its the LT1 variation now

· Super Moderator, How-To Author, TOTM
5,240 Posts
My 5.3 Ecotec is an L83 motor which is LS based. Like above it shares displacement and that's about it. Now weather or not it is a definite answer is up to the judges. It's definitely something.

· Servicemen, TOTM
2015 Sierra SLE 5.3 4x4
7,671 Posts
I'm not an expert but I stayed at a Holiday Inn once.

It depends on the trim level. If you are in an LS then yes it's an LS. LT trim has the LT. LTZ has the LTZ 5.3.
Now that is for the Silverados. You are driving a GMC so it may have the SLE or SLT 5.3. Just depends on if someone swapped motors.

· Registered
1,116 Posts
The vortec 5.3, 6.0, 6.2, etc are LS-based.

The ecotec engines that are direct injected are LT1 platform based.

By the way - trim level has nothing to do with the engine. My 5.3L in my Silverado LT is still an LS-based engine. Blame GM for reusing the same labels for totally different things.

· Registered
98 Posts
Yeah the EcoTech is just that....EcoTech. Nit if I sho what they're BASED on, but my 2013 vortec6200 is an LH9. Think about it like this....LS, LT, VORTEC and ECOTECH are the actual families. It's not "the EcoTech is from the LS family". No. The EcoTech is its own deal. Brand new engine, just like the new 2017 duramax. It's it's own baby. A lot of people try asking/telling me the 6.2 in my truck is a corvette motor. Ehh...no. No it's not. It has the same displacement. Period. Cars/UTVs have their own engine families, trucks/vans/SUVs have different ones. Different engines for different jobs.

· Registered
2017 Silverado LTZ Z71
5,360 Posts
Vortec is the LS family, Ecotech is the LT family

· Servicemen, TOTM
2015 Sierra SLE 5.3 4x4
7,671 Posts
SparkyJJO said:
My 5.3L in my Silverado LT is still an LS-based engine.
You should take it back to the dealer. The factory obviously put the wrong engine in yours. You should have the upgraded LT engine in yours with simulated wood grain plastic intake and chrome accents.

· Servicemen, TOTM
2015 Sierra SLE 5.3 4x4
7,671 Posts
ferraiolo1 said:
And Bose exhaust

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That's standard on LTZ engines. The LT required a separate upgrade package with leather battery box in order to get the Bose exhaust.

· Registered
98 Posts
Seriously though, the VORTEC is based off the LS? That doesn't make sense to me. 07-13 Chevy made 2 NA 6.2 v8s...the L9H and the LS3....? Not the LS9H....none of my research mentions anything about LS. The vortec engine was introduced in the mid 90s named after the vortex created in the cylinder heads for air/fuel mixture....they have VVT and LS engines don't do they...? The vortec engine has been around longer than the LS...LS1 came out in 2000 right? Give or take a year...to replace the LT1. And now Chevy brought the LT back as the corvette engine...I thought it was the same with EcoTech as well...

· Member Extraordinaire, How-To Author, TOTM
23,197 Posts
The old vortec engines from the 90s aren't the same as the new vortec engines of the 2000s. Look at an LS in a 4th gen camaro and then the 5.3 vortec in our trucks before 2014 and you will see the many similarities, thus the fact that they are commonly called LS based.

Same with the ecotec and the LT engines of the present.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Supr Moderator AutoTech SS-Guru Mbr Extraordinaire
2015 High Country Duramax
20,657 Posts
Yeah the vortec motors in 96-98 trucks are not the same as the ones in the 99-13 trucks. Those older ones are just sbc motors (or bbc depending on exactly which motor, ie 454).

The 99-13 motors I'm the trucks are ls based engines with different model names for the trucks. It only takes a quick glance to see they are basically the same motor inside and out for the most part.

Trucks may have had a different intake manifold or block/head material, but mechanically, once you strip them down to a long block, they are the same motors.

· Registered
1,552 Posts
Just curious. Were you wondering if it is an LS engine? Was it for fitting performance or aftermarket parts?
The 5.3 Vortec in my truck while wholly based on the LS series. It is not technically an LS. It is a Gen III GM Small Block. LS engines have been built in Gen III, IV, V. The 4.8 and 5.3 are smaller versions of the LS1 though have their own designations. My 04 5.3 is an LM7 aluminum block with cast cylinder heads. There is also an LM4 290hp version used in cross over and mid size SUV in 2003 and 2004, L59 (flex fuel) and L33 that was the HO. L33 had it's own bespoke cam, used flat top pistons instead of a dish top found in garden variety LM7 and it had 799 cylinder heads with casting identical to those on an LS1 or LS6. So, technically it is in same family as they are based on an LS but are not actually an LS.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.