Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just ordered it to complete my system. Anyone have one? I couldn't find any bad reviews on it. I'll be running an Advent OGM-1 HU with an Alpine 500 watt mono amp pushing a loaded probox with 2 8's.

Search function came up with 2 people who said they were getting one soon, but nothing current.

SO question is, does anyone have a MS8 or similar DSP running on factory speakers?

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
No personal experience but a car audio forum I used to frequent,
www.diyma.com
had several users, I've read good and bad, like induced system noise, but do a search there, there are tons of users there.

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
I would go for better speakers before messing with a DSP, but that's just me.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys, I was leaning towards new speakers

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
Yeah, that's where I'd put my money. The head units these days are pretty sweet. Some of them have decent DSP capabilities built in. Don't know about the one you are running, specifically.....

·
Registered
3,084 Posts
I doubt there is any headunit on the market today that can do what the MS8 can do. The whole idea behind the MS8 was to improve factory sound without having to change anything else. I have wanted an MS8 since it came out, but I've never actually pulled the trigger. From what I've read on diyma, they are pretty phenomenal pieces of equipment.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Yep, read the same, I guess the 20wpc X 8 would be a starting point on high sensitivity factory speakers, could even run the front active, just need a sub amp and subs, which he's got taken care of. The price has dropped substantially from the $800 plus when they came out to around 4 ish now.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just ordered the MS8, Ill be home to put it in on next Tuesday. I'm keeping factory doors and tweets for now. I want to hear what they sound like with the MS8 pushing them before I drop another 500 bucks on speakers. I may just keep them.

Reading the forums linked in an earlier post, I'm no better off from when I started...lol I have no idea what half of them are talking about, systems have come a long way since my 2 12'' Cerwin Vegas in the trunk with the ol' autotec 44 pushing them.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
MS8 installed, it sounds like a surround sound system in my truck. I changed all factory speakers out to Infinity and added some shallow mount subs and amp. (Kicker 10's in a fox box) I found the amp built into the MS8 wasn't quite enough, so I added a bigger one. After that, I re-calibrated and it sounds amazing. I brought it to a sound shop here locally for some rear a/v bids on rear video and they spent an hour listening to it and calling in their buddies to come hear it. I finally told them to get out of my truck so I could leave. LOL!!
With that being said, I had to trick the ms8 on calibration by turning the gains on the sub amp almost all the way down to get it to the levels that sounded good to me. After that I can adjust the level through the MS8 interface.

For the audiophiles on here, it's worth it. Me, I probably could tell the difference between this and the clean sweep. But I could DEFINITELY tell the difference of speakers alone and MS8 processed ones.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.