Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last night my truck started jerking HARD when shifting from 1st to 2nd. The check engine light is on. Its a 2008 silverado z71 4x4 with 75,000 miles. Anyone have any ideas?

·
Registered
565 Posts
This happened to me, my aftermarket intake came loose after an oil change at the dealership.
It was loose at the throttle body and the computer doesn't like it when the mass air flow sensor is bypassed.
Tightened it myself and problem is fixed, you may have an issue with your mass airflow sensor, try borrowing a scan tool and seeing what code comes up.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My shift is HARD when I'm going slow, but if i hit it it'll shift at 5500 rpms and there won't be a big jerk. Going slow when it shifts makes it jerk your head back. I think its the trans. :(

·
Registered
14 Posts
My 2002 did that rough 1-2 shift, would almost chirp the tires. Bought it used, changed the trans fluid and filter. Replaced both shift solenoids, 1-2 and 2-3. Had the wrong ones in it. Broke them both taking the pan off, otherwise I doubt I would have found the shifting solution. They are color coded plastic. Went to an old fart parts shop, not a chain, guy had all the trans parts book. Took my vin number and all the specs and discovered the problem. 1-2 is still a positive shift, not a jerk, and you can't hardly feel the other shifts. Make sure you are using the correct fluid too.

·
Registered
14 Posts
My truck never threw a code. The solenoids were about 76 each and I got them 40% off. The total was about around 130 for the parts and oil. If you take it some place, double that and to be safe triple that cost. I don't know where the former owner of my truck had it serviced or if he did it himself. The drain plug was put in with an impact air tool so I had to drill it out after I got the pan off. A rubber gasket was used with sealer which leached into the fluid. I broke the solenoids taking the pan off because when they put the duals on it the crossover was at least a half inch too far forward. I had to loosen the trans mount and jack up the trans and transfer case about two inches to get the pan off. The solenoids have a plastic spool on them that fits into the valve body. Mine were tan or light brown. The truck should have had white tipped solenoids. I don't know what your ability is, but buy a repair book anyway. There are stupid people out there even at a dealer that will screw up your truck. You Tube is a good source too.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So i started the truck yesterday for the first time since i posted this originally. I pulled it up about 10 ft up my driveway. It leaked some tan liquid that didn't smell like anything. ill post a pic of it below. You guys think thats tranny fluid? So my problems so far are:

Feels like its goings over bumps around 40 mph.
Jerks HARD when going from 1st into 2nd
Check engine light on
Leaked said fluid

It only leaked when i pulled it up 10 ft. When it was idling there was no fluid coming out besides the AC. it just dropped the fluid over a foot long stretch then stopped. After it jerks into 2nd it goes into every other gear just fine. What do you thinks up? Should i get it towed to the shop instead of driving it there? Thanks

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.