Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner

jmoore19's 2018 GMC Sierra 1500

4K views 30 replies 9 participants last post by  jmoore19 
#1 ·
As promised, here is the start of the build thread for the "new" truck that I just bought. My dad was the first and only owner, he bought it brand new about 2 years ago. Custom ordered it directly from GM, so it has all his personal options (and some of mine ;) ) that he wanted. I knew that I would be buying this from him when he got his new truck. On Friday we went down to buy his new 2021 D*dge Ram 1500 Limited, so I received the keys on this right after.

It's a 2018 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE, and has incredible options and qualities. I am one very happy owner.

No plans on mods yet, the only thing I need to do is to change the passenger tow mirror - the "chrome" is all falling off, and I have a replacement mirror that we just never put on to replace it. I'll get some interior pics when I can!

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
What a great truck! How many miles on it?

#3 ·
Love that color!

#6 ·
jmoore19 said:
Thanks Neal! It had 118,000 when I bought it. Granted that may sound like a lot of miles, but my dad truly just used it as a daily driver and hardly ever beat on it. He is one of the most gentle drivers I know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That's a bunch of miles in two years. Then again..., my 2016 had 178K when I bought it from the first owner two months ago, so I'm familiar with high-mileage trucks. Miles don't scare me and that usually gets me into position of finding good deals. It's the overall package that matters to me most.

Nice score! Enjoy the truck. I sure as heck am enjoying mine. :cool:

#7 ·
Has it had all the fluids and stuff serviced or is that stuff in the works?

#8 ·
I have to confirm with my dad, but I believe all the fluids and things have been serviced either by him or the dealership. If not, that will be the first thing on the list.

As of right now, I am looking for new rims. I cannot stand the stock ones on here, and I want to get rid of them before the chrome starts flaking like the mirror did.

#9 ·
The chrome wheels need to be the first to go...I had chrome 22s on my truck. The problem with chrome is that the chrome on the tire bead seat starts to flake off, corrode and develop pinholes, and your tires start to leak.

I found the aluminum GMC 20s I have on the truck now with brand new Goodyear Eagles on them for $800, and then sold the ones I took off for $600.

#10 ·
@Roorancher exactly my problem. A friend of mine bought a 2015 with the chrome rims and they started flaking pretty bad and they look awful. I'd like to get rid of these and find some aftermarket rims, but I'm having trouble deciding with silver or black. Any suggestions out there?

#12 ·
This is a couple of the style of rims I have been looking at. I'm not really set on a style/brand yet, but this is kind of the style I am looking for.

Attachments

#14 · (Edited by Moderator)
Kind of a busy weekend, but I'm not complaining.

Saturday I ended up driving about 2 hours north and ended up purchasing a sled deck, for those unfamiliar its basically a 2 place snowmobile trailer that mounts to the box of your truck. This one is equipped with a winch so it winches down on rollers to a 45 degree angle and down to the ground, making it less of a climb to get to the top. It's a 8.5x10 trailer, all aluminum. It needs a little bit of customization, so that project is next in the works. This is the only decent picture I took, but more will be coming as the snow is falling.
IMG_0237.jpg

Sunday I ended up driving about 3 hours south and picked up this set of rims and tires off a guy super cheap, cleaned them and shined them and mounted them. I needed new tires anyway, so that's now on the agenda for the week. Leaning toward Cooper Discoverer AT3 4s, but not 100% on what I'm buying.
IMG_0326.JPG

Attachments

#15 ·
i ran the AT3s for 58k miles and they were done at that point. I had no issues with them.

Running falkens wildpeak at3ws now no issues

Would like for the next set to try out some of the Nitto ridge grapplers but they are more expensive than most ATs

EDIT: I also just got an email saying coopers are 7% off on tirebuyer right now COOPER7 at checkout until 10/12/20

#17 ·
I bought my current set from this site and saved a good amount

local places wanted like 1600-1800

bought from tirebuyer for right at 1000 then paid for mount and balance and what not for a total under 1200

tirebuyer and discount tire direct I would trust completely

#18 ·
Thats really good to know, thanks. I've been pricing out everything but I can't decide between the Cooper AT3 4s or the Cooper AT3 XLT. I'm really not wanting to get a 4 ply tire, so I'm leaning toward the XLT. But I've also heard good things about the Falken Wildpeaks.

#19 ·
seeing your bed sled I would go ahead and get the 10plys.. they are heavier and will effect mileage but will be better if you plan to put one or two snowmobiles or whatever up there.

based off of the wear so far I should get 60+k miles out of these falkens easy as long as they dont start wearing faster

here is a good review on them to see some numbers.. Mine is in there as well. In an hour or so I can measure and give an update.. have 35k on them now

50k Mile Update - Fallen Wildpeak AT3W 275/70r18

#20 ·
I'd go Falkens all day, every day over the xlts.

I had a set of the xlts on my 17 as my winter setup, and they were the worst tire I've ever driven in the snow. Needed 4wd to go anywhere.

Best handling tires I've had were my toyos (at2). They gripped good and were controlled in both steering and braking.

I want to see how the new toyo AT3s do in the snow but they are on my nice wheels so ill never know lol. I have a set of BFG k02s now and will run them through winter. So far they are OK. Less traction on dry pavement than the toyos, but id say about the same in the rain. They are definitely noisier though.

Father has a set of the falkens and they are holding up great. Although he says that the wet performance is not as good anymore now that they have some miles on them.

#21 ·
Eric, I had the AT3 4S on my last truck, and I really enjoyed them. They handled super well, and now I just realized that the XLT are 10 ply, I don't really want a 10 ply on a 1/2 ton haha.

I'm really leaning toward the AT3 4s now. Calling around and getting price quotes on everything, and they seem to be cheaper than the wildpeaks as well.

#22 ·
I'd only ever run load range E or F tires on any truck I own. Even a 1500. Its all benefits imo. Stronger, longer lasting tire, more size options, and better handling.

I'm not sure if it's the compound they use for the xlts or what, but they just sucked in the snow lol. I have read the 4s has more and different siping as well as being a different compound (according to the articles I read, not sure if that's actually the case or not).

But the xlt experience put a bad taste in my mouth for the cooper at line. Hopefully the same won't be said for the bfgs lol

#24 ·
I ended up purchasing the tires on 10/9/20 and had them mounted and balanced that day. I brought in some TPMS sensors that I had purchased online, and had them installed. Overall, I'm impressed with how they look and ride.

I went with 275/55/20 Cooper Discoverer AT3 4S again. I had them on my 1500HD, and my dad had them on this truck previously; he had 70k miles on them and still had about 7/32nd tread on them. I like how aggressive they look and handle. I originally asked them to put the white letters on the inside, but they messed that up so I had them mark down that I want them changed at my first rotation.

I am having an issue with the TPMS sensors in the rear, though. I drove about 20 miles and the right rear one quit communicating, and then about 1 mile later the left rear went out. I purchased AC Delco replacements online, so I have to call the tire shop and see if there's anything that can be done about them, or if there is something they did wrong.

Attachments

#25 ·
Tires were installed 10/9, so naturally on 10/10 we had to put them to work.

Loaded up with the ATV in my box, pulling our tandem axle skid steer trailer with the Ford 8N and brush hog attachment and headed up to the deer land to start cutting trails and do some maintenance. Handled incredibly well, averaged about 14mpg pulling the trailer going 55-60 the whole way.

Attachments

#26 ·
I'm not impressed with these fog lights. My passenger side one is out, and I haven't figured how to get the bulb out yet. and both of them fill up with condensation like this. Anyone have some tips to get it fixed? or am i looking at getting new housings?

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.