Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Bought a new key with a B119 chip inside. Put my working key in and placed in run position (did not start) then waited 5 seconds. Next put the new key in and waited 5 seconds. Key didn't work.

Tried starting truck with working key waiting 5 seconds. Turned off and put in new key and started. Truck started but had the Anti-theft error and does not go away.

2016 Silverado 1500

Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks for help/suggestions.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Bought a new key with a B119 chip inside. Put my working key in and placed in run position (did not start) then waited 5 seconds. Next put the new key in and waited 5 seconds. Key didn't work.

Tried starting truck with working key waiting 5 seconds. Turned off and put in new key and started. Truck started but had the Anti-theft error and does not go away.

2016 Silverado 1500

Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks for help/suggestions.

Try this?
1. Insert an existing programmed working key into the ignition cylinder.
2. Turn ignition to the ON position for 5 seconds, then back to OFF position.
3. Remove the existing key and within 5 seconds insert new key and turn it to the ON position for 5 seconds.
4. Turn key OFF then back to ON. The key is now programmed. Start vehicle to test the key.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Try this?
1. Insert an existing programmed working key into the ignition cylinder.
2. Turn ignition to the ON position for 5 seconds, then back to OFF position.
3. Remove the existing key and within 5 seconds insert new key and turn it to the ON position for 5 seconds.
4. Turn key OFF then back to ON. The key is now programmed. Start vehicle to test the key.
No luck. Crank position results in no starter response.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Your new key may be faulty, (or the truck has already had 8 keys taught to it).

MacQ's instructions are what is laid out in the 2016 owners manual.

Programming Keys
Follow these procedures to program up to eight keys to the vehicle.

Programming with a Recognized Key
To program a new key:
1. Insert the original, already programmed key in the ignition and turn the key to the ON/ RUN position.
2. Turn the key to LOCK/OFF, and remove the key.
3. Insert the new key to be programmed and turn it to the ON/RUN position within five seconds.
The security light will turn off once the key has been programmed.
4. Repeat Steps 1–3 if additional keys are to be programmed.

If a key is lost or damaged, see your dealer to have a new key made.

There is a different procedure to use if no 'recognized' keys are available.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Farmguy's procedure didn't work. Let it sit for about a minute and the security light did not go out and I got the theft message. It is an aftermarket key. When I used the key to unlock the door a few days ago the alarm went off so I had to start the truck with my working key.

Do the door locks also have a transponder reader to check key chips or just the ignition lock cylinder? If the key cut was bad on this aftermarket key would it even unlock the doors and tailgate? Not sure how these work.

Ordered another chip to go inside the key (see image above) since they are so cheap ($2).

Thanks again for all the help.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts