Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I have an 06 LBZ and I've been having some trouble with morning cold starts. I have replaced all 8 glow plugs and it still does not want to start in the morning when left unplugged (I live in Mass). It will eventually start but I don't understand whats going on with it, as I'm the only diesel that i personally know of that does not start good in the cold. I only have problems in the morning/when it sits overnight, if i drive it to work it'll start throughout the day no problem. My only guess is an air leak in the fuel filter housing is causing it to lose its prime during the night, I know thats a common issue. By the same token though, if i plug the truck in at night it'll start with no issue in the morning which makes me backtrack the fuel filter housing idea. I do my best with this stuff but i'm no mechanic. I just wanna hear what anybody else might be thinking this is. Also, there is no CEL and no codes being thrown (that my cts2 can read anyway).

I appreciate any and all help!
Thanks,
-J.

·
Super Moderator
2015 High Country Duramax
18,557 Posts
When it's hard to start when not plugged in, I assume it just cranks for a while right? Is there any smoke when it's cranking? If so, what color is it?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That is correct. After a bit of it just cranking it'll sometimes run for a second then die and after messing with it, she'll fire up, elevate the idle, then all is good. Honestly don't think there's any smoke when cranking but can't answer for certain as the truck is a crew cab long bed and the exhaust is dumped over the rear axle so its out of view.

·
Super Moderator
2015 High Country Duramax
18,557 Posts
I would leave it un plugged on a cold night and have someone take a look and see if there's smoke or not.

But let's assume there is no smoke, that would indicate to me that it's not getting fuel. Because usually if it's getting fuel, but no combustion, you'll have grey smoke coming out the exhaust since it will be just dumping raw fuel out.

But, since you mention that it fires right up when plugged in, it seems like it is getting fuel.

How is it cranking over when cold? Is it slower than normal?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'll try the cold start unplugged tomorrow. And when cranking over when cold its the exact same as when its warm, same speed

·
Registered
858 Posts
Glow plug relay/ controller. Known to go bad. I am about to replace mine as mine has hard starts unless plugged in. I did rebuild the fuel filter housing before winter.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Check fuel filter housing, known to lose prime. Have somebody pump it while turning it over. If it starts is got a air leak.

Changed many of these at the shop, as a D Max does not have a lift pump.

Fuel has been a issue on these for not starting or stay running.

Something to check out

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Could've sworn I replied to this but I guess I'm just losing it haha. I appreciate all the help from every one. It was an air leak in the filter head.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts