Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a '12 crew cab LT1 silverado, I have foot lighting installed in all four doors, they light up the ground when the door is open they have one cree led light bulb in them each, so 4 bulbs total. I had my installer add one diode wire to the door trigger wiring so they turn on when the door is open, & had him install a kill switch so I can keep them off if needed. The power for the lights is coming directly off the battery terminal with a fuse near the batt in that wire. This all seemed to work fine for 2 days before i left town for 2 weeks.
When i came home i had 2 strips of led lighting in stalled in the bed (just under the bed rails) with a motion switch attached to the tail gate so they come on when it is opened. The strips have 3 led bulbs each, also had a 3 way switch installed with in this system the 3 positions being on, off, or motion switch. The power & ground for this system is completely independent & not spliced into any existing elec equipment or wiring, the power also comes directly off the batt with a fuse.
When I picked up the truck after the second install the 'hood open' light was on, dome lights were acting funny, turn signals hazard lights in op, auto day running headlights won't turn off, no brights, & radio had constant power. Took it to the dealership, they swapped out the bcm & the door lock module, everything went back to normal for a few days then same symptoms. Had all my aftermarket lights disconnected, took it back to the dealer had another bcm replaced, then had the lights hooked back up, same problem, a few days later the bcm went out again. Now have had all aftermaket lights disconnected again & wires hidden, getting another bcm tomorrow, the dealer requested i remove all aftermarket wiring.
I would really like to get all the lights working with out frying my bcm every 3 to 4 days, but am also very concerned about upgrading anything electrical seeing as my current elec system can't even handle a total of 10 small led bulbs pulling a very small amount of power.
Any Advice?

·
Registered
7,399 Posts
I don't have schematics for such a new truck but here's what I suspect is happening. When a door is opened, this completes a signal circuit to the BCM and the BCM supplies power to the dome light on a different circuit. It's possible the door trigger circuit you are tapping into is designed for 5V and not 12V.
You could try tapping into the power wire going to the dome light and using it to trigger the relay for your LEDs.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Alright, that was our next move to try taping into the dome lights, not for power but just to tell the foot lighting when to come on. I have read a lot about this being done & it seems to work just fine. Im gonna try this in a week or so.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Why did you use a diode? Just curious. Swap that out for a relay. The purpose of a relay is to control a separate circuit off another with out stealing the originals circuits voltage.

However. ..as you said the led's don't draw much so I would think tapping intp the bcm would be okay but you either have a short or something is hooked up wrong.

·
Registered
16,624 Posts
SliveRide: Did you ever get this resolved???

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.