Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had both CV axles replaced on 08 with 110,000 on the clock. I have the RC 2.5 leveling kit on it. I have read things on the internet about this causing the boots to tear. Has anyone else had this problem??? Both boots were torn on the smaller end where the metal clamp is on the end of the boot.

·
Registered
10 Posts
My diver side boot busted a few months back and I haven't fixed it yet. Same spot on the boot it sounds like. I have a 3.5 sus lift with drop down spacers on my 2007 with about 103,000 and I thought the same thing. Is it too much of an angle on it? I thought the diff drop would have helped, and it did and the angle is not as bad. A friend put it to me like this, a wheel spins about 2000 times per mile, your at 110,000, that wheel has spun 220 million times! That's a bunch and they just wear out over time. So yea, did you fix them yourself by the way?

·
Registered
546 Posts
i was worried about this same thing.. the angle looks like it would cause issues later with bad wear but if you get over 100,000 miles on a cv i would almost call that worth the $100 to replace it and go another 100,000 miles. when i installed my lower spacer i flipped the bolt and put the lock nut on the bottom to give a bit more clearance for the boot. I dont know if the A-arm would travel enought for the bolt to actually make contact or not but it seemed like it was better to error for caution.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Any lift in this case is bringing the CV angles past tolerance for the boots, so yeah- the lift is causing it. And the joints themselves are not going to last as long for the same reason.

While the leveling-lifts are cheap, this is why- they make no accomodation for that CV angle. I'm surprised on the 1500s there's not a good way to space down the front diff about an inch to get those angles back in tolerance.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Guess if the problem continues I will take the kit off. Didn't know if many others had that problem due to the amount of ppl on this forum that has the kits on their trucks.

·
Registered
16,624 Posts
It seems reasonable that the increased angle would cause problems with both the boot and the joint. However, I am guessing it is conscious trade off for most of the people who have lifts. It is the same with people who do other mods. Adding a lot of weight and other apparatus to a truck will likely cause it to experience lower fuel mileage and most modders do it knowing that. Take the guys who put on huge mudding tires. They know they will be giving a mile or two or three per gallon but they are OK with that trade off. Maybe the guys doing the lifts do not realize they might experience excessive wear on their boot or joint, but anytime you do any mod to the truck, you are at risk of some kind of unexpected side affect.

·
Registered
4,351 Posts
Just sitting here reading this, it seems strange that the 2" lift would cause that much of a stress on the boots. When you factor all the flexing these things endure on a typical day for anyone that is going anywhere besides just down the street, it doesn't seem like that big of a deal. And I don't here of other farm and construction trucks eating boots more than normal. I am probably wrong, like I usually am, but I see how far my front suspension has to travel each time I leave the house for dips in the road, uneven bridge to road levels, going down my normal gravel roads and such, and it doesn't seem logical that 2" lift would make that much difference in regular usage. Never seemed to on my lifted Jeep Liberty diesel that I had. Never had to replace the boots on that one. Could be tolerances are not comparable.

·
Registered
16,624 Posts
Copperhead: I totaly understand your view. And i am no expert either. Just looking at it from a mechanical perspective. But consider the fact that although 4 wheeling and even driving on rough terrain is going to put those joints/boots into steeper angles, it is only for a very short duration. When your truck is lifted, putting that angle on the joint/boot causes it to flex at that angle the entire time, even while flying down the flat highway at 75 mph mile after mile, hour after hour. I am no mechanic and have no real first hand knowledge, but it sounds logical to me and I am sticking with it. Like they say "If you like your lift, you can keep it, period". LOL

·
Registered
4,351 Posts
Yeah.... U R probably right. Will see how it plays out on my 2013. Just shy of 6000 miles, so time will tell.

·
Registered
1 Posts
2013 silverado with RC 2.5" level. Level was done at 5k miles. The truck has 10k on it now and the drivers side cv boots are throwing grease!! Does anyone know if they make an angled cv boot? What is the best cv boot for leveled trucks? Thanks for any help

·
Registered
4,351 Posts
I did the 2" level up front early on. I recently traded in my 2013 for new 2500 and the 1500 had almost 25K on it with no boot problems. Off road, serious snow, etc. Might have been just luck of the draw. On my new 2500 it was a much better solution. The pickup already rides high, and the back end rake was huge. I did a 2 lower on the back end with a set of shackles so it didn't affect the front end CV angles at all.

Did a quick search around the web and all I could get for info on your problem is to get the angle back to stock. I have found alot of stuff for various vehicles, but the 2013 1500 doesn't really have much to help out. Everything I read was that the only solution was to lower the front to stock. Sorry.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I had the 2.5" Ready Lift leveling kit on my 04 1500 crew cab. I was going through CV's every 3 months because the degree was so ridiculous. I finally ended up installing a 4" Lift from RCX with a diff drop and brought my cv angles back down to factory specs. IMO it's worth the money you'll spend over the years swapping shafts. Plus you get an extra 1.5" of lift.

·
Registered
8,439 Posts
Seems like there is a difference between the 2" and the 2.5". I have the 2", and have had no issues in 40k miles. I wonder if the 2.5" add just enough additional angle to cause the issues?

·
Registered
275 Posts
EKinMN

the truck showing on you Big frog,,,,,, does that truck have the 2 inch lift with 2" lift on it?? also what kind did you choose, and did you change out the shocks to anything special I mean struts? And the 40 k after installing the 2" lift,, were the boots new at time of installing lift?? If not whats the total on the boots before installing the 2" lift.....

I agree the 1/2" more beyond the 2" drastically plays with the lower control arm radius more than the total from original ride height meaning close to zero degree. on alignment,, shooting the beams,,, it's only about 1.5 degree change from original ride height through the arc up to the 2 inch unsprung height as in a bump causing it, but creating the 2" lift now you're at 1.5 degree into the arc,,, watching the alignment beam then add that 1/2 degree more,,, the arc angle, or what we used to call the "Ackerman" effect changes 7.75 degrees negative,,, before you driving over that same 2 inch bump that at original ride height only changed the arc angle 1.5 degrees from zero. hope that makes sense.

When lifting the truck on a hoist, and watching the front tires un springing as the truck moves off the ground,, watch the tires,,, go through this arc,,, or the "Ackerman" effect. changing camber caster angles will not change this arc either... yes to save the boots on this angle before bumps,, you can drop the diff as everyone says here,,, but that arc does not get to zero,, and still will create that extra stress and heat at all times even normal mini bumps down the road are amplified with this where zero to 1.5 degrees is now at 1.5neg to 7.75 neg only on a 2" bump. only way to effect this angle/arc,, is to either drop down upper control arms to what ever level changes the arc back to zero so you're in the middle of this arc/"ackerman effect" for impact and unsprunk bumps.... or a more expensive lift kit that has longer upper control arms for this minimal 2.5 inch lift. just dropping the diff to establish drive line angle doesnt fix it all.... talk to any old alignment guy from the days when almost all 11 angles were adjustable. or a oval race guy... they still play with these angles.. and it's all guess work too,, unless theres a lift kit out there that has it figured out yet..

Long winded hey?

EKinMN

you take very very great care in your equipment, and high pride too,,, I can only expect you should expect the least amount of premature wear on these boots,, let alone any other aspect of your baby there... I've been following some of your advice here too..... good job on all your writeups I've had the pleasure of reading....

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.