Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 07 NNBS Silverado 1500. Currently have OEM front shocks with 3" spacers on top of the shocks, along with stock UCAs, LCAs, tie rods, etc. The stock shocks have pretty much ran its course and I'm looking to get new ones and pretty much get rid of the spacers that are on the truck currently. I've been seeing alot of shocks that come pre-lifted or pre-leveled. I'd like to keep the leveled stance without having to upgrade my entire suspension. If I had to upgrade some of the suspension, would it be just the UCAs? Or everything? I'd like to keep the ride height that I currently have. Obviously going down a half inch or an inch isn't the worst thing in the world. I am running 33s also.

Any help/advice would be appreciated!

·
Super Moderator
2015 High Country Duramax
18,568 Posts
You need to either step it down to 2.5" or less, 2" is preferred, or step up to a real lift.

3" is too much for a level, no matter what method is used.

The best riding and handling option is coilovers. But with any set that's worth going with, you'll need new upper control arms, which will add at least $500 to the price. Worth every penny imo though. And really, I wouldn't trust the factory stamped arms being leveled anyway (if you have the stamped arms)

The other route that's fairly popular, and cheaper, is the bilstein 5100s. They are adjustable. However, depending on your exact wheel and tire setup, they may not provide enough lift to clear. I'm also not a fan of how they ride or handle. Very stiff, but yet you don't get the control you'd expect.

Rancho sells their quick lift struts, but again, those will settle out to under 2", which may or may not be enough.

The cheapest route is to get whither flavor of strut you like and slap a 2" leveling spacer under them (or on top depending on kit)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You need to either step it down to 2.5" or less, 2" is preferred, or step up to a real lift.

3" is too much for a level, no matter what method is used.

The best riding and handling option is coilovers. But with any set that's worth going with, you'll need new upper control arms, which will add at least $500 to the price. Worth every penny imo though. And really, I wouldn't trust the factory stamped arms being leveled anyway (if you have the stamped arms)

The other route that's fairly popular, and cheaper, is the bilstein 5100s. They are adjustable. However, depending on your exact wheel and tire setup, they may not provide enough lift to clear. I'm also not a fan of how they ride or handle. Very stiff, but yet you don't get the control you'd expect.

Rancho sells their quick lift struts, but again, those will settle out to under 2", which may or may not be enough.

The cheapest route is to get whither flavor of strut you like and slap a 2" leveling spacer under them (or on top depending on kit)
That makes sense, thank you! I have 275/60/20 tires (street tires) with 20x9 wheels (+0 offset).
Overall, I haven't had any turn radius issues or rubbing-thankfully.
So if I go with the lift struts that Rancho or even Rough Country sells, I'd only would need to get new upper control arms, not new tie rods or LCAs, correct?

·
Super Moderator
18,568 Posts
You wouldn't "need" to get new UCAs for either of those options. Wouldn't be a bad idea, but not needed.

And even with coilovers, you don't touch the LCAs or tie rods. Only if you do say a mid/long travel setup would you mess with the lowers.

I'd steer clear of any rough country stuff. Especially their shocks/struts.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You wouldn't "need" to get new UCAs for either of those options. Wouldn't be a bad idea, but not needed.

And even with coilovers, you don't touch the LCAs or tie rods. Only if you do say a mid/long travel setup would you mess with the lowers.

I'd steer clear of any rough country stuff. Especially their shocks/struts.
Perfect, good to know, thank you!
I was looking at the Cognito 3" kit that they sell and it seems reasonable..maybe? I already own the Rear Fox 2.0 shocks and those have been great.
What are your thoughts on the Cognito kit? Are their UCAs any good?

·
Super Moderator
18,568 Posts
That kit comes with the fox 2.0 coilovers. They are an improvement over the stock struts, but not as good as the 2.5 series.

The cognito control arms are good. I used them on my 2017, and more recently on my father's 2018. They used to have ball joints that the grease boots didn't seal well on. But they have since changed the style of ball joint that comes with them, and they seal fine now, however they aren't able to be greased.

My personal recommendation is a set of 2.5 coilovers, from either fox, king, cst (if you can find a set), or maybe icon. The reservoirs aren't needed really so you can opt to save a little there if you wanted. Then a set of cognito control arms.

Will cost a little more, but will be worth it ten fold. I had that same setup on my 17 until I did my lift. And that's the same setup I put on my father's truck as well. He utterly loves it. He had a set of rancho quick lifts on there prior.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That kit comes with the fox 2.0 coilovers. They are an improvement over the stock struts, but not as good as the 2.5 series.

The cognito control arms are good. I used them on my 2017, and more recently on my father's 2018. They used to have ball joints that the grease boots didn't seal well on. But they have since changed the style of ball joint that comes with them, and they seal fine now, however they aren't able to be greased.

My personal recommendation is a set of 2.5 coilovers, from either fox, king, cst (if you can find a set), or maybe icon. The reservoirs aren't needed really so you can opt to save a little there if you wanted. Then a set of cognito control arms.

Will cost a little more, but will be worth it ten fold. I had that same setup on my 17 until I did my lift. And that's the same setup I put on my father's truck as well. He utterly loves it. He had a set of rancho quick lifts on there prior.
Good to know, thank you again! When you refer to 2.5 coilovers, that indicated a 2.5 lift in the front, correct?
Is there any advantage to the Cognito UCAs over some other one's that are out there? And not being able to grease them, is there an advantage to that?

·
Super Moderator
18,568 Posts
That is the size of the body of the coilover. The 2.0 has a 2 inch body, the 2.5 has a 2.5" body, and so on.

The 2.5s are adjustable from 0" of lift to 3" of lift (or more).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts