Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner

Lifter Failure - "Bent" Lifter

5K views 18 replies 10 participants last post by  Capt Hoss 
#1 ·
My brand new, 2021 GMC AT4 was diagnosed with a "bent" lifter.

The other day, I was rolling down the highway at about 50-60mph when I started hearing a clanking/knocking noise followed by some vibration. I took it easy getting it home as I had no idea what was causing it. I didn't drive it again until I took it in to the dealer. When I started it up, it began making the noise and vibrating again, even while idle in park.

They told my it was a "bent" lifter. Only have 9.5k miles on my truck. They are ordering me new parts, but I'm worried they're just gonna throw the same new factory lifters on there and I'll run into this same issue again.

Has anyone else had this issue? More importantly, has it led to any other components in the engine and/or transmission to fail?

Thanks.

#2 ·
#7 ·
You can thank the EPA and Congress for forcing them to try to get the very last .01 mpg out of these motors. It's a flawed design from the get-go but it's what GM came up with to try to meet the CAFE standards. They cannot put alternate parts in the motor under warranty. GM and the government would never allow it.
You can put in aftermarket, non-AFM parts but that would void your GM warranty, even though it would become more reliable. Catch-22.
Let the dealer fix it. It might not ever happen again. If it does, you might get a brand new motor out of it.

Reactions: swathdiver
#11 ·
Not all AFM motors fail, some fail early (<50K), some fail very late (200K+). Hit-and-miss, that's what it is. Like Gary said, let the dealer fix it and use your warranty accordingly. If it fails again, you might be in for another motor.

No, these things shouldn't happen, but unfortunately the regulations have put us where we are at and we just have to live with it. Grass is not necessarily much greener on the other side, either.

Hope you get it all taken care of.

#13 ·
There is a known issue with the 2021 5.3 and 6.2 motors for bending lifters before 10k and there is not currently a fix for it other than replacing them with the same ones. Seems to be happening more with the 6.2 than the 5.3.

#16 ·
My brand new, 2021 GMC AT4 was diagnosed with a "bent" lifter. The other day, I was rolling down the highway at about 50-60mph when I started hearing a clanking/knocking noise followed by some vibration. I took it easy getting it home as I had no idea what was causing it. I didn't drive it again until I took it in to the dealer. When I started it up, it began making the noise and vibrating again, even while idle in park. They told my it was a "bent" lifter. Only have 9.5k miles on my truck. They are ordering me new parts, but I'm worried they're just gonna throw the same new factory lifters on there and I'll run into this same issue again. Has anyone else had this issue? More importantly, has it led to any other components in the engine and/or transmission to fail? Thanks.
I also have a 2021 Serra Denali that had only one bank of lifters and pushrods replaced. They (GMC) will not authorize the replacement of the other bank's part because they are not currently failing. I sent an email to Mary Barra, Chief Executive Officer of General Motors, informing her that I am an older woman who drives the truck. Also, we are planning on a vacation this September 2023 with my daughter, young grandson and pets from Georgia to Alabama. I am most concerned that the other bank will fail during our trip. Ms. Barra forwarded my email to an Executive Advisor who did nothing but state the policy regarding the replacement of the parts. She told me I could have the parts replaced, but at my own expense. No way! GMC installed defective parts in my truck and now they will not stand behind them. This was my third and last GMC product ever to be purchased for my family. My safety, my daughter, my grandson, and my pet's safety is obviously not a concern for them. I just pray to the good Lord that we do not get stranded in an isolate area.

#17 ·
The lifter failure deal is terrible.
Ive got a SM at a local dealership that will call me up at times to come in and disable the AFM/DOD junk in the tune.
They replaced the lifters in a '19 Tahoe 7 times in 12,000 miles. Bad part is this was a county judge's tahoe and they got tired of dealing with it. Made some quick easy money and they havent had a issue with it yet and that was 2 years ago.
I cringe when one my buddys buys a newer GM truck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.