Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi the guy that does all of my body work for me told me this past week something interesting for around 350 he can patch up the holes on my rockers and spray line x over them and he said it holds up very well and hes seen it to were it lasts just as long as the rest of the life of the truck... is this true i really dont want to spend the 1800 to replace both rockers because its just really spendy and theyll rot away sooner or later because i live in a snowy state.. could someone put some input in on this or atleast if they have had this done let me know how it has worked out for you.... thank you

·
Registered
604 Posts
From what I hear, it's really hard to get rid of rust. I had a couple small rust spots on my rockers (and small holes) which I fixed with bondo and adhesive mesh. Then I coated all the way around the truck from the rocker panels down with bedliner. It's holding up pretty well, but the rust is starting to come back a little. I live in MA and go to college in Western NY, so it has seen lots of salt and snow.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the advice hes planning on laying new metal to cover it up but not replace the rockers completely and spray a thicker coat of line x this isnt the stuff that you can buy in a can he has the gun and the bed liner solution that he sprays on. hes charging me 350 to 400 he said to do the rockers and flow it through with the box so hopefully it turns out good i just dont trust many people with my personal vehicles to do stuff like this so feeling a little scetchy

·
Registered
7,399 Posts
Rust never sleeps. It can still rust from the inside out.

·
Registered
386 Posts
There is a truck around the area here who did it to his 2000 ish Silverado. Only took 2 years to see it coming through again. BUT idk if it was line x or even put on professionally. If its only 350 bucks and last for only 2 years, I would still do it anyway. If you plan on keeping the truck for years yet, you can slow it down now so it looks good and save up for the real fix down the road when it gets real bad.

·
Registered
2009 Silverado LT 4WD
9,464 Posts
If you try and do a line-x on the rockers like this, I would try and use as much rust kill on the rockers outside and inside the rockers you can first. To get rid of as much rust as possible before line-xing over the rockers...

·
Registered
751 Posts
I used to work at a shop where we would bed line panels to "prevent" rust but if we didn't get all the rust removed, and I mean all the rust, it would rust through within a year easily. Just make sure your guy removes all the rusty metal and doesn't just patch holes.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Mr Millhouse, that looks awesome. Functional, and good looking too. Wonder what it would look like to linex around the wheel wells too? Just to the flat vertical part around the wheel well.... I have linexed the box, and wheel well inside, but am worried that the rust will chip away at the edge of the wheel well, and not sure I want fender flares.

For OP: hard to get rid or rust once it starts, but anything to slow it down is good. Does seem like a lot of $ for rockers though...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.