Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right now I have those factory chrome 6" oval steps. Was thinking of going to see the linex guys here and see if they could linex the chrome part.

Anyone done something similar? Wondering if it would take the abuse of rocks being thrown at it constantly. Know its tough stuff but thats a rough spot.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
I know it's been done before and I'm sure it would take the abuse, it would just be costly. I've also known of those who use Plasti Dip. May chip easier but way less expensive.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I've though about it.The local dealer wanted $185 to Line-x them (crew cab - cab length bars). I have Textured black bars so I'll see how they hold up before I spend that kind of money on them

·
Registered
360 Posts
I took a set of go rhino dominator 3's and had my guy gator hyde ( same type of liner ) all the chrome and left the steps gloss back and it looks bad as*! I will def be doing the same to a set when I order the dominator 2's. They are tough as crap and look sick!

·
Registered
321 Posts
Boucher187 said:
You may even be able to use POR 15. Then it will also be rust proofed.
Not a good idea. POR-15 is not UV stable, so you will have to also paint it. If there's no rust, you don't need POR-15.

LINE-X will prevent rust on the surface that's it applied to. But, rust can come through from the other side. If you have rust on mild steel, then rust can come to the surface from the other side. If you have chrome on stainless steel, then you will probably never have a rust problem.

Some LINE-X on steps pics.

·
Registered
174 Posts
i had my nfabs done is june with line x. The stock coating was flaking off in chunks, and i wanted some extra grip on them. I had them sprayed and on for maybe a week before going on a 2 thousand mile road trip and they look perfect still. I got them done when i got my bed sprayed and it was a 100 bucks for the steps.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.