Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was wondering through the junkyard today when I see this old mid-70s stepside. It was an odd ball too; 3/4 ton longbed stepside. Anyway I walk to the back of it and to my surprise the tailgate is still there and intact. So I grabbed it. It has just enough rust and flaky paint to add character without being rotted junk. Debating making a bench out of it or just hanging on the wall and calling it art.

Attachments

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I thought about that. I've seen it done mounted higher up as a fold away work bench too.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Progress!
One of my buddies came over this afternoon and we drew up plans and knocked out most of the bench to mount it on. Now I just have to come up with some armrests and age the wood. Oh and find a place to put it.

Attachments

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It's done!

I made some armrests out of 2x6 and then lightly stained it "weathered gray".

@Waterboy: I've thought about selling it, but I really like how it came out. My buddy and I did talk about maybe building a few more to sell if we can find decent tailgates. Not sure how much it'd be worth though.

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
Well again, it came out looking amazing! Nice job!

I'm sure enthusiasts would pay a lot for something like that. I suppose the only thing would be that shipping would be huge $$$ :shock:

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for all the compliments fellas!

·
Registered
232 Posts
Looks good! I was looking to do something similar but never could find a good gate to use.
Nice find!

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
That looks pretty awesome. I love checking out junk yards in the area, seems interesting things are always popping up.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.