Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks,

In the market for a new truck and fuel economy a big consideration. Looked at the F150 powerboost and the new Tundra (in hope of the hybrid later in the Spring) but am not averse to the Duramax. I have heard conflicting reviews on this engine in terms of durability but from what I understand, the inline is more reliable. Anyway, just looking for perspectives and experiences with this engine.

Thanks,
Patrick

·
Administrator
6,503 Posts
We have heard of very few, if any, problems with the 3.0 Duramax. So far, it seems durable. Great fuel economy, decent power, very smooth. The new '22 version is beefed-up, too, with heavy-duty internals and much more torque.

Reactions: swathdiver

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
We have heard of very few, if any, problems with the 3.0 Duramax. So far, it seems durable. Great fuel economy, decent power, very smooth. The new '22 version is beefed-up, too, with heavy-duty internals and much more torque.
Thanks! The more I read and research, the more I like this powertrain. The long crank/no start issue is a bit disconcerting, but seems to maybe being isolated to a particular production period. But otherwise, the AT4 1500 is starting to sing to me!

·
Registered
248 Posts
It's the 2.7L turbo gasser that got a boost for '22

For 'refreshed' '22 3.0L LM2
LM2 Engine, Duramax 3.0L Turbo-Diesel I6, (277 hp [206.6 kW] @ 3750 rpm, 460 lb-ft of torque [623.7 N-m] @ 1500 rpm)
which is same as '21 and '22 ltd versions.

for the 2.7 -- same hp, higher torque.
'21 (and '22 LTD)
L3BEngine, 2.7L Turbo, (310 hp [231 kW] @ 5600 rpm, 348 lb-ft of torque [471 Nm] @ 1500 rpm)

'22 refreshed
L3BEngine, 2.7L Turbo High-Output, (310 hp [231 kW] @ 5600 rpm, 430 lb-ft of torque [583 Nm] @ 1500 rpm)

·
Registered
248 Posts
I'm very happy with my 3.0L.
Ordered a 'refreshed' '22 and it will also be a 3.0L LM2.

I've posted before that if I had to replace my truck I would get another one.
Last week I put did order a '22 refreshed with the 3.0L :)

A little over 14 months and 16,000 miles this one's lifetime average is 25.4 mpg.

Mostly daily driver, but some towing.

Mine has never done the crank/no-start thing talked about in several threads.
It hasn't been at a dealer since the programming update to correct this issue was released in Oct '21.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts