Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
My wife and I currently own a 03 2500HD 2WD Silverado with the 6.0 gas motor 4.10 rear end. It's an extended cab with cloth interior and 183k mi on it. It's been a great truck to us when towing a single open car trailer when I race or a 2 horse bumper pull and even a 4 horse goose neck when the time calls for it.

We bought this truck a couple of years ago since we needed to upgrade from a 98 1500 silverado that was my wife's grandfathers. Just needed MORE truck...

We have been looking to upgrade once again and my plan is to buy the next truck and drive it until it dies lol. That being said we are fairly specific when it comes to options.

2008-2012 (Not looking for anything pre 2007 due to transfer case "pump rub") These years would be in our price range of $15K-$20K?
Silverado or Sierra
Must be 4x4
Must be 4 door (I own a 95 Camaro and she has a 03 Accord. Both coupes so a 4 door truck is GREAT when you have company or take the dogs on a trip)
Would like leather but not required
2500 HD for towing capacity

Now, I am out of the loop with trucks and even options available. I see a 2012 1500 comes with a 6.2L gas motor??? Hmmm

Just looking for overall opinions on the above specs. Any major problems and or certain things I should make sure I get (like 4.10's etc). Basically looking to upgrade to a nicer truck, a little more refined and to keep for the long haul. I have not come across too many common issues with the 6.0 2500's. We did not get into a 4x4 from the start due to them not being in our price range at the time.

Oh and no diesel because this truck sits 80% of the time. We use it when towing or Home Depot run or weekend get away's with the dogs to some mountain cabins (when 4x4 is REALLY helpful).

Thanks!

· Registered
2,249 Posts
I think in your price range you can find a very nice truck within those years but probably more in the 5.3l 4 x 4.
Be patient and look hard, there's a deal out there waiting for you.

· Registered
38 Posts
Stick with the 6.0 and make sure you get the version with the cast iron block (no AFM). The 5.3 and the 6.0 Aluminum block have AFM issues. One minor issue with the 6.0 is they sometimes chew through water pumps. As long as you keep up the maintenance this won't be a major issue. The easiest way to determine an aluminum block while on the lot is it will have the "Flex Fuel" badging.

· Supr Moderator AutoTech SS-Guru Mbr Extraordinaire
2015 High Country Duramax
19,428 Posts
Towing those things I wouldn't get a 1500.

Look for a 2500 for sure. You won't need to worry about any afm since they haven't put afm on the 2500/3500 trucks yet.

The 6.0 is a solid motor for sure. I also wouldn't discount the gmt800 trucks due to the pump rub. That issue is overplayed for the most part. Yeah there is an issue, but with how many trucks are out there, only a small portion of them have problems.

But the 6 speed in the year range you mentioned is a plus in my opinion

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks a lot for the reply guys. Good points about the AFM and aluminum blocks. IMO I prefer "less gadgets" sometimes. I'm not buying the truck for MPG's lol. It's a functional vehicle that needs to perform when asked and give us some level of luxury.

Our thought process is if we are spending the money we would like to step up to the next body style. I like to progressive buy newer (within reason on price). So to rule out our current body style isn't out of the question, but somewhat would like something newer/better. I've seen the pump rub fix is not very expensive, just a little labor intensive.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.