Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So the new (or used) bug has bit me. I'm looking into a used diesel (07-13) or maybe a 6.2L (14-15). NO 16-17 1500...just simply ugly.

I had a Dodge 2500 years ago when the market crashed, sold it, now I'm jonesin to get back into one for the fun of them, were talking about getting a travel trailer and i just truly miss the POWER (slight power junky here, haha). Now my daily commute really doesn't favor it, its anywhere from 15-30 miles per day, but my job does take me to places over 75+ miles away for work. I also don't think the 6.0L will favor this also, or may be worse.

I currently have a 2013 1500 Crew, 5" lift on 33's and a 5.3L. The power just isn't there for me anymore and ultimate goal is 6" and 35's (yeah I know, power won't be there either).

I think I am just bored with this truck and really want to build another one....go figure, this is "my thing" per my wife. I could do more to my current truck, but its like, do I want to do that or build one with a 6.2 or diesel and have the power and components to make it solid for 35's.

I do have a few question: Does the 6.2L have the same Trans as a 5.3?

Please feel free to talk some sense into me or provide any info. I'm sure we've all been here.

Thanks
Bob

· Registered
399 Posts
To my knowledge any 1500 with the 6-speed has the same transmission (6l80e) regardless of engine size.

If towing power is your primary concern with the 5.3/6.2 and 35's, consider re-gearing. That will also make it much easier on your transmission and other drive line components.

I daily my 4-speed with 33's (soon 37's) for my 50+mile commute everyday with no issues, other than crappy fuel economy because of the 4-speed and stock gears.

· Registered
6,883 Posts
Same trans as 5.3, with a 6.2 in a 14-15 it will be the weakest link in the chain, pound on it with 35's and it will shit the bed. Don't get your idea the 16 is ugly, I like the wicked evil grin it has, like it is hiding something special but everyone has their own tastes so that's fine with me. Please drive a 14-15 with 6.2 and you won't have any doubts if it fits your needs, look for LTZ and High Country trucks because it will not be found in a LT or LS chassis.

· Registered
111 Posts
If you were to get a 2500hd say 14-15 with a leveling kit you can stick 33's under it all day long. They sit way higher than the 1500's , that's why i traded my 13 1500 in on one. I will be putting 35's under it soon! And it has plenty of power with the 6.0L in it. I also pull a 32' travel trailer with it , no problem. Just made a trip this summer pulling it through the Rockies (Dead Mans Pass) on our way to the west coast. So trust me when i say it has plenty of power. My camper loaded probably weighs about 8000lbs.

· Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What's the 6.0L fuel mileage like? Right now I'm getting 12-14mpg not tuned.

· Registered
399 Posts
One of my neighbors has a '15 2500 with the 6.0L and I think he gets around 16-18. He doesn't do a lot of towing but when he does there's no power shortage. The thing about the 6.0L vs the 5.3L/6.2L is the 2500/6.0L is an iron block and made to tow and be beat on constantly. If you're looking for power and towing reliability, a 2500 is hands-down the right option. If you only tow occasionally and not for long hauls, then a 6.2L will be fine for your needs.

· Member Extraordinaire, How-To Author, TOTM
22,227 Posts
Obviously people who own 16s are bias. I had the ability to buy a new 16 or a new 15. sitting side by side I prefer the older timeless style look of my 15 over the spaceship 16/17s. Wait until you have to replace your headlight and its not under warranty.

· Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm not a fan of how they front end looks. They took the headlights out of the front and made it look like slits. I'm a big fan of 14-15's more.

· Registered
208 Posts
If you are going to be towing much at all, get a Duramax. Not towing much at all, stick with a gas burner. Been there before, loved my Duramax when I had horses, but after selling my horses and trailer, had no need for the diesel, and went back to a gas burner. My Duramax did not care what size tires it had on it either. I can find many nice 2-3 year old trucks in my area for a lot less than you pay for a new one. Don't be in a hurry, look for while and find a nice low mileage truck and save you some money.

· Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the info guys. I'm in no hurry to make a change unless the best option comes around, but keep it coming. I guess I'll explore all options, mainly power since I am looking at going 35's.

Thanks
Bob

· Registered
6,883 Posts
ferraiolo1 said:
Obviously people who own 16s are bias. I had the ability to buy a new 16 or a new 15. sitting side by side I prefer the older timeless style look of my 15 over the spaceship 16/17s. Wait until you have to replace your headlight and its not under warranty.
lol ya they cost about 140 bucks and my Enclave has them too.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.