Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have always wanted a diesel and if I can sell my current 1500 I will get one. I am and always have been a Chevrolet man and love the Allison. What would be the best year for the duramax? Also, don't shoot me on this one, but I have always heard that the 7.3 was a good engine, even from chevy lovers. What is your opinion and yes I know that I should have gone to a F**d forum if I wanted to talk about them but I believe that I would get an un biased opinion about the trucks here. Maybe if I could pay to have a 7.3 with an Allison transmission I would be set.

·
Registered
6,413 Posts
I sold my 7.3 for my truck now. Good motors for sure but the fuel mileage sucks! I would look for dmaxs 06 up to a '10 I believe after that they had the emission crap on them. If you get a F#rd with a 7.3 I would lean towards a 6speed, the autos just don't last.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
6,959 Posts
The absolute best years for the Duramax are the 05-07.5 years (code named LBZ). They come stock with like 360 HP and 750 LB-FT, so out of the box you're gonna be a beast. A big plus is that they don't have much emissions crap on them, so there's less hoops to jump through to get the power out of them.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Absolutely one thing I cannot stand, emissions. They have made some fine looking HDs with a Black Widow version and they are bad to the bone. Too bad they have that crap on them.

·
Registered
533 Posts
The 7.3 is a great motor,
and although they might have had a little less power, the older 7.3s (pre 2003 I'm thinking) are more durable.
My cousin has a '99 with over 240,000 miles and it runs like a top and the motor has never been touched except for a new
turbo, ( although, the auto trans is not the best as someone already mentioned; it has been rebuilt twice).

I hate to say it but, if I wanted a diesel I would rather have 7.3 ford or a cummins.

Joe

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I wouldn't mind a cummins, its what we always get in out fire trucks. If you can put me a cummins in something other than a dodge, then we will talk. Or maybe if I can get caterpillar in a pickup that would work too. We purchased a 6.0L ford flat bed and used it as a brush truck at the fd, that is the most horrible engine ever made. We have 3 2001 2500 HD gassers that carry about 600 lbs in the bed at all times. When they were tuned up there was nothing wrong with them, we have had absolutely no problems. Sometimes they pull a trailer with a Kubota RTV on the back. The ford is a 06 and it has been in the shop more than it has been in service.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I have an '06 Duramax LBZ, and my deputy chief has a 2000 F250 with the 7.3. He averages about 25mpg city (older guy so he's a real light foot), I'm averaging about 18mpg right now (between daily city, fire response, and towing) but hopefully that will increase with a good tune. They are both great motors IMHO. But, this is a Silverado/Sierra forum, so of course I'm gonna say Chevrolet.

·
Registered
858 Posts
Just stay away from the LB7 they have as many issues as the 6.0 powerS. I have a 05 LLY and runs great 220K on it. Anything over 2009 is going to have heavy emissions on the truck and a lot more maintenance. The 7.3 is a good motor but at the same time you cant get close to the allison trans. People who own 7.3 rarely get rid of them and when they do the motor is done anyways.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Yeah 7.3 power stroke owners tend to pair with them for life.
What you guys need is a 5.7 litre olds diesel :lol:

It will be interesting to see how the new D.O.D.G.E. (drips oil, drops grease everywhere)
ram 1500 diesel works out, it will be nice having a half ton diesel on the market, just hope it isn't
plagued with problems.
Fuel mileage should be excellent, and with over 400 lb ft of torque :cool:

Joe

·
Registered
33 Posts
I had a 06 LBZ with 6 speed auto I would recommend that truck over any other diesel. If you take care of it it will last forever. I owned mine for 5 years and replaced 1 transmission line. If you look for a 06 make sure it has a D as the 8th letter in VIN because they made some early 06 models with the LLY motor. You can get better mileage out of the cummins but the truck and transmission falls apart around the truck. I know because I had a '00 cummins. I would have kept diesel but I wanted a change and I dropped my payment by getting a newer 1/2 ton. I really miss the power of the diesel but I love the comfort and ride out of the 1/2 ton.

·
Premium Member
6,959 Posts
puppeteer said:
Just stay away from the LB7 they have as many issues as the 6.0 powerS. I have a 05 LLY and runs great 220K on it. Anything over 2009 is going to have heavy emissions on the truck and a lot more maintenance. The 7.3 is a good motor but at the same time you cant get close to the allison trans. People who own 7.3 rarely get rid of them and when they do the motor is done anyways.
From my understanding, the LB7 only has problems with the injectors. The [email protected] 6.0 has head gasket failure issues, which are related to EGR cooler failures; I believe the tuning on the engines was bad from the factory, too. The whole engine is junk- there's a guy down South who's built a huge company just from fixing them.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.