Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, I hope I am posting in the right place. I am looking to purchase my first Silverado/Sierra 2018 depending what’s available. I am leaning more towards a Silverado 2018 Z71 though. I just wanted to reach out to anybody who has that year and ask if you could tell me what your experience has been and reliability. I am seeing a lot of discouraging comments online and it’s making me second guess my future purchase. I really only want a Silverado and I’m not interested in another truck. Any commentary would be super helpful to hear what some of your experiences have been.

· SilveradoSierra Guru
2004 Sierra 3500 6.0L, auto, extended cab, cab&chassis, upgraded to 4wd
3,115 Posts
I don't have one, I have a very well used '12 that I've been putting a bunch of work into, but know that, for online forums and posts, most people only post when they have a problem. The people who don't have a problem, and are just going along using their trucks, they don't make regular posts saying "Truck is still doing good".

· Registered
2018 Silverado LT double cab V6 Automatic
38 Posts
I bought a used 2018 doublecab in 2020...still had some warranty left, good thing because the cab leaked badly into the interior...warranty fixed that...hood switch failed, easy fix, touch screen on radio failed (I fixed) other than that all is well. only has 29K miles..I am changing out the trans fluid and thermostat soon...great looking truck.

· Servicemen
2021 GMC Sierra Denali CC 4WD Ultimate 6.2L
5,296 Posts
I'm GMC man so I can't comment on a 2018 Silverado but I did have a 2017 GMC Sierra Denali and in the 4 yrs I had it, no problems with the 6.2L engine or the 8-sp transmission. I would strongly recommend you make sure you are buying an unmolested truck and not one someone has hacked up with big tires, suspensions mods or worse yet, engine modifications.

Reactions: Raqzzz

· Registered
2022 Silverado Trail Boss
7 Posts
I bought a new 18 Z71 and loved it more than the 2021 GMC 3.0 I replaced it with.
Zero issues with the 18, traded the 21 towards the 2022 Trail Boss because it was going to become a staple of the dealerships garage.
Wish I had stayed with the 2018 though.

· Registered
328 Posts
I have an 18 Sierra I acquired this past summer. It already had a 6" RC lift and 22x12's. I totally love the truck. It's a SLE quad cab, 6.5' bed, heated seats, console and has aftermarket tow mirrors. It has 70K on it and runs like a champ. It has the 6 speed transmission and 3.42 gears. I added a tune and intake. I currently have 17's on it for winter with 285's.... thank god I did, because this truck is an animal in 4ft of snow!!!

· Registered
2018 Z71 Silverado 1500,
9 Posts
I have a 2018 Z71 Silverado, that I got in 2020 as a lease trade in with 20,000 miles on it. Overall a good truck and minimal issues really. Had a vibration on the highway at certain speeds and one tire pressure sensor was off. I noticed the spare had been installed at least once so I guessed it had a flat and the rear tire had a plug in it. I also didn't like the AFM kicking in on the highway when i needed to speed up or pass, it made the trans shifts feel weird.. Also it was a little boaty feeling on the highway going around corners in the 75-80 mph range. So at 40,000 miles I had the tires upgraded to BF Goodrich's and had 2" drop shackles added to it. Big difference in handling and ride but still a little vibration at certain speeds but not as bad. I also added the Range AFM disabler and it's on all 8 all the time now, that also made a big difference and the mileage barely changed if at all. I never reset it but its at 16.5 all the time, including around town and occasional speeds near 90 or so.. I've towed across the state once or twice with no issue after installing the AFM disabler too. One dash light for the heater fan setting is out now and the trans fluid is starting to turn a little brown at almost 50,000 now. So I will address that when spring comes and I figure i may need brakes then too.. Hopefully the brakes make it through the winter.. I hope that helps a little for ya.. Dan

Wheel Vehicle Tire Window Automotive parking light

· Registered
1 Posts
No dude, go one model year newer and don't look back. I have a '19 5.3 and once you notice rounded vs squared wheel wells it'll bug the crap out of you. I go down the road and look at every GM pick-up, saying there's an old one it's got squared wheel wells, there's a newer one it's got rounded wheel wells. Squared wheel wheels just scream "old" in my books.

· Registered
2000 Z71
45 Posts
Personally Id opt for any year without AFM. Granted only problems are posted here and I used to think it was all BS until I owned 3 problem children trucks. Look it over good, get a warranty if possible . Todays vehicles can be very costly to correct problems.

· Registered
2018 5.3 4x4 Crew Cab
14 Posts
No dude, go one model year newer and don't look back. I have a '19 5.3 and once you notice rounded vs squared wheel wells it'll bug the crap out of you. I go down the road and look at every GM pick-up, saying there's an old one it's got squared wheel wells, there's a newer one it's got rounded wheel wells. Squared wheel wheels just scream "old" in my books.
Says the guy who's truck cuts off at stop signs:rolleyes: :p

Bought a 2018 crew cab 5.3 4x4 early last year. Runs like a champ!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts