Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I have a 2010 Sierra 4x4 v8 Single Cab Long Box. Lately I've been hearing a knocking sound in the rear which i first thought was my receiving end. After checking this I still heard it and figured it was another spring snapped - also not the case. Now I hear it when going slowly over dirt road potholes and rocks. When I had it parked yesterday I started shaking/rocking the box back and forth left to right and the noise was very loud around the right rear wheel but strangely not sounding like it is in the wheel. I'm taking it to the shop this week but just wondering if anyone has any ideas on this issue - also checked th lugs and the tire (as well as the spare tire and exhaust) are all tight. Thanks.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I am experiencing the EXACT same issue on my 2011 Sierra. It's driving me crazy. I'm very anxious to see what they find at the shop. Please keep us updated!

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
Just out of curiosity, did either of you have your truck undercoated lately?

I had this same issue when I had both my wife's Sierra and my Silverado Krown rustproofed. Turned out the spray gets in between the leafs and somehow temporarily makes that kind of noise.

After about 8 or 10 days it went away!

Just a shot in the dark, but figured I'd throw it out there!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No undercoating on mine. someone mentioned the spacer between two of the leafs may have fallen out. The clamp around two of my springs is loose on the end towards the cab initially I thought it was unrelated.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Same thing on my 2010, when I was getting it oil sprayed last fall I asked the guy to soak the springs really good. This actually made it worse after a few weeks. A few months ago I was installing blocks and spayed lithium grease between the leafs while it was apart, using the little red tube and stuffing between the leafs. About four months now and still quiet!

·
Registered
7,399 Posts
You could check just by crawling underneath. Use the springs on the opposite as a reference for where the shims are located.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Getting the truck oil sprayed?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.