Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a 2006 1500 5.3 with 140k miles. Just today I noticed the oil pressure dropped down to zero so I stopped, shut it off and check the oil. Oil was full and looked clean. I change the oil every 3k miles. Well I stopped for lunch and about 30 mins later I started it back up and it started ticking really loud so I shut it off and let it sit. Could this be a bad oil pump or rods? I have to drive 3 hours home come Thursday. Any help would be appreciated.

· Member Extraordinaire, Servicemen, How-To Author
16,428 Posts
Something certainly seems to have failed. THere are several components to the oil system that could be the culprit and I will leave that to more experienced forum members to address. But, I would not drive the truck anywhere with the truck actually making unusual noise.

· Registered
34 Posts
No oil pressure and loud ticking sound like a bad problem, first guess would be oil pump. Get it checked out before the trip for sure. Use a manual gauge to check for pressure or better yet have it towed to a good mechanic if you don't have the time or gear. I would not drive it again till problem solved. Good luck!

· Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It's being towed home tomorrow then I'll be able to look at it my brother in law actually drove it to work out of state and I thought that was OK since I bought it from him to begin with. I'm just going off of what he's telling me it's doing.

· Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
OK guys got the truck home and checked the oil. It was still golden due to the fact that I just changed the oil last weekend and I found a couple of slivers of metal. I pulled the valve covers and this is what I found. Flakes of oil in the heads with what looks like old oil. I unplugged the coils and removed the fuel pump relay and turned it over and not an ounce of oil came through the rods. Guess I'll be needing a major overhaul or a crate motor. Any suggestions?

Attachments

· Banned
2,174 Posts
Do you have a picture of the metal in the oil? what size were the flakes? The oil looks very dirty to me especially being changed a week ago. I would guess it picked up something and stuck the bypass open in the pump, the screen is stopped up or lost its prime. If it were mine I would drain the oil and look at it. Cut the filter open and inspect it. If there are any clumps sludge etc. Id pull the pan and see what it looks like and check the screen and tube to the oil pump and go from there. If it doesn't look bad Id prime it and turn it over to see if it will pickup with a quart of MMO. Run it a bit in place and close to home to clean it out before replacing the pump. If it picks up oil pressure it may run out ok an may not if the bypass is scarred. But running it and listening to it can give you an idea of other damage as well.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.