Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

· Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so 2 days ago i got a left front low tire pressure warning light come on... check the pressure it wasn't that low 32 at normal 35. i filled both front tires to 38 just to make sure i had plenty of air and the warning still comes on..

any idea how to clear this and reset???

· Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks! i'll give it a try, these tires get rotated every 3-4 months (oil change time) so i have no idea if the left front is in the front or back lol.. what a dumb idea putting it that you cant clear them all at once!

· Member Extraordinaire, How-To Author, TOTM
22,225 Posts
Since I'm pretty sure it was a government regulation they wouldn't let you just clear it. I have a tpms tool from Amazon, paid for itself many times. And you don't have to do that long procedure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Member Extraordinaire, Servicemen, How-To Author
16,428 Posts
Rotating tires will not have any affect on the TPMS malfunctioning. It will just not know which tire is in which position. When you do a TPMS relearn, it simply resets tire positions on the TPMS system so that if your TPMS says the RR is low, then you know that it is truly the RR and not the LF or another tire. You could actually put all 4 tires in the bed of the pickup and it wouldn't affect the TPMS. It just thinks the tires are in the position there were in the last time you or someone else did a relearn.
I also have a TPMS relearn tool and it works great and makes it super easy and when I get low in one tire, I know for sure it is telling me the correct tire. They cost about $75 but can be used on a wide range of vehicles. Not just your truck. I use it on my wifes Cobalt and I think it will work on vehicles from other manufactures as well.

But, I am guessing one of your TPMS sensors is dead and will need to be replaced.

This is the tool, but you should be able to find it less expensive elswhere unless they have gone up in the last few years.
https://www.amazon.com/Kent-Moore-EL-50 ... B00A3UNYW8

· Member Extraordinaire, How-To Author, TOTM
22,225 Posts
I will have to disagree on that. They report while stationary also. I sometimes air up/down while sitting in my garage only going off of the dic which follows the air pressure

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16,428 Posts
I swapped the wheels on my wife's cobalt with those on my daughters cobalt. My daughters cobalt didn't have TPMS, but the wifes did. Of course, I get the dash light on the wifes which I cannot turn off. Surprisingly, when my daughter comes home and parks near the wife's cobalt, the light on the wife's cobalt goes off. Every time.

· Registered
4,317 Posts
I have the opposite going on. there is no way, when empty, i am going to run the recommended 60 front and 70 rear on the LT tires on my 2500. I run them at 55 all the way around. TPMS has a cow. Could care less. I have gotten real good at ignoring the tire pressure light. Doesn't even get my attention any more. I dismiss the message out of the DIC and go on. Probably will never replace the sensors if they ever bite the dust. Won't know if they have.

· Registered
402 Posts
GMT604 said:
esox07 said:
You could actually put all 4 tires in the bed of the pickup and it wouldn't affect the TPMS.
No you can't, the TPMS light will be on because the sensors contain an accelerometer, if they aren't rotating they aren't reporting.
Gotta disagree with you, too. I have heard many people will buy 4 new TPMS sensors, mate 'em up, throw 'em into a pressurized PVC pipe filled to the correct pressure and toss that sucker into their toolbox. That way the TPMS light will not illuminate and you can swap between wheels with no sensors freely.

· Registered
151 Posts
Could always put them all in the spare

16,428 Posts
Yah, good idea until you have to put the spare on and run it. Those TPMS sensors inside there won't last long and I can't imagine what that would do to the tire not to mention the balance on the tire.

· Registered
151 Posts
esox07 said:
Yah, good idea until you have to put the spare on and run it. Those TPMS sensors inside there won't last long and I can't imagine what that would do to the tire not to mention the balance on the tire.
Just poke 3 more holes and have 4 valve stems in it.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.