Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seen tons of lowering kits for sell. Some with spindles and the whole nine.... And some with just shorter springs/shocks and leaf spring adapters. Obviously the kit without spindles is cheaper but my question is.... Could you do a 2-4 drop without spindles and not have any wheel lean( camber/ toe in, or whatever). And if so what's the lowest you could go without this issue? Thanks

·
Registered
84 Posts
Yes you can drop 2" without Spindles. I would not recommend it tho because your trucks gonna ride like crap. I just had a 2/3 drop installed and the entire kit with installation was only $500. They used spindles in the front, and shackles in the back. Because my truck is still practically new I didn't need any new shocks. I am not sure on the whole issue with camber from your original question but I know when you drop a car on springs, camber is usually an issue. BTW my truck rides just as good as factory with my drop.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks a lot for the feed back. You completely answered my question. I figured the spindles would make difference. I guess the none spindle kits are for some other type of application.

·
Registered
84 Posts
The non spindle kits will work but i think spindles are the better choice. Djm makes a kit using control arms that's cheaper than a spindle kit but again I'd rather pay a little extra for a good Quality drop.

·
Registered
2018 Sierra Denali
774 Posts
i did the 2/3 with the drop struts in the front and shackle in the rear. I would say it rides better then stock. my camber adjustment is about maxed to get the camber right if I remember correctly.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
TXCrew2013 said:
The non spindle kits will work but i think spindles are the better choice. Djm makes a kit using control arms that's cheaper than a spindle kit but again I'd rather pay a little extra for a good Quality drop.
I agree about paying a little extra. I just wasn't sure why the two options. I mean it makes sense you would have to add spindles or swap the lower control arms to avoid any camber now.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Registered
8,941 Posts
I'm going to ask this question and not just assume it's going on a newer truck.
Is this for the 86 in your info or is it going on a newer truck? Thou spindles, control arms and springs are available for the older trucks, the caster and camber adjustments are different. They don't use those camber kits that Belltech sells, they use shims between the upper control arm and frame mount. I see your 86 has a 454, is it a 3/4 ton or 1/2 ton truck? Because there is a lot less available for the 3/4 ton, you may need to go with 1 ton or down to 1/2 ton parts to lower your truck...

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Daly said:
I'm going to ask this question and not just assume it's going on a newer truck.
Is this for the 86 in your info or is it going on a newer truck? Thou spindles, control arms and springs are available for the older trucks, the caster and camber adjustments are different. They don't use those camber kits that Belltech sells, they use shims between the upper control arm and frame mount. I see your 86 has a 454, is it a 3/4 ton or 1/2 ton truck? Because there is a lot less available for the 3/4 ton, you may need to go with 1 ton or down to 1/2 ton parts to lower your truck...
No I will not be dropping my 3/4 ton chevy lol. I have a newer truck also, and my neighbor and good buddy has an 03 Sierra. We were talking about him lowering his, and I want to lower my other truck. I'm makin the assumption that most half ton drop set ups are similar, regardless of make.

·
Registered
8,941 Posts
It does depend on the truck, 99-07 Gm trucks are coil springs, were as, 07-13 GM trucks are struts. Fords and Dodges can be either or as well...

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well hell. I'm glad you brought it up. I guess I'll just need to do my research before buying anything. Good lookin out daly. Thanks

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.