Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 01 GMC Sierra with a lq4 I have a really loud lifter tick but only sometimes when I start it in the morning it doesn’t tick if I let it warm up and do light driving and if I stay under 2k rpms the whole drive but if I go over 2k rpms for a couple of minutes or if I get on it the lifter starts ticking and stays ticking until I am sitting somewhere for a while then it goes away I am thinking about putting a new cam and lifters and about the low oil pressure it is low all of the time around 20 psi when idling but if it is cold it sometimes goes down to 0psi but if I tap the gas it goes back up and stays up for a while but the question is I’m going to put a new cam lifters and oil pump but I’m not sure if I should put new bearings or buy a new engine because I have 277k miles on it because I know they are a strong engine I would just buy a new engine but I don’t have the money I just want to know would you guys would recommend

·
Registered
2004 Sierra 3500 6.0L, auto, extended cab, cab&chassis, upgraded to 4wd
422 Posts
For my '04 with about 200k miles on it, which also ticks a bit, when the engine starts sounding like it's having trouble or using more oil (uses about 1 qt between 5k oil changes), I plan on rebuilding a used LQ4 (I happen to have a parts truck in my yard, but if I didn't I get one from a junkyard), and then swapping to have minimal downtime. I also have a decent sized garage/engine lift/whack 'o tools for doing the job, and I'd just have to get a machine shop to clean/examine/bore if necessary the block and crankshaft.

For you, if you don't want to take the time/expense to rebuild the engine, perhaps a used engine from someone parting out their truck?

·
Registered
1999 Silverado ECSB 6.0
1,715 Posts
It is not lifter tick that is probably an exhaust leak lol

Don't look at the cam bearings when you open it up.

·
Registered
2001 GMC Sierra 2500HD CCSB
2,571 Posts
It could be exhaust leak, easy to check the manifolds on the head. If the bolts were never replaced almost guaranteed to have 2-4 missing bolt heads.

At that kind of mileage you may want to do compression check to see how worn down it really is. You may be in for more of an expensive rebuild to get it back into good shape.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts