Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Best M/T truck tire for daily driver? Considering road handling, wet/snow, noise and wear. I am in need of 295/55r20 'ish sized tires.

I am I considering the Nitto Trail Grappler, Mickey Thomson MTZ, Firestone Destination MT among others...

I know some will respond that I should get A/T if I am worried about noise, but I have had two sets of Micky MTZ's on the Jeep I just sold and you cannot beat the off-road prowess.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I researched tires for a long time before I chose mine, I have Nitto Trail Grapplers 295/70/17. They surprised me at how quiet they were for such an aggressive looking tire. I also like to drive fast and take corners fast and they handle excellent and are great off road also. Before those I had cooper stt's same size and those were just as good of a tire I just wanted to try something different, I would recommend either.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have heard that the Trail Grapps were quiet but I'm not sure exactly what that means. Are they comparable to many A/T's or just a bit quieter than most M/T's?

·
Registered
78 Posts
+1 on the trail grapplers. Put it this way around town i dont even hear the tires anymore. On the highway you will have a hum but not a annoying hum! I'm doing alot a traveling lately and it doesnt bother me at all.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I had Mickey Thomson MTZ on my old Jeep. I got 65K out of the first set. They were unbelievable off-road and some what quiet on the highway. Being a soft top, it was fairly load at 70mph. Love 'em, but I would like to try and get some thing else to see if I can further reduce the noise... maybe a pipe dream.

·
Registered
59 Posts
My truck has about 19,000 miles on it, and the tread on the Nitto Trail Grappler M/T's is worn down to about the width of a pencil. Granted, they were on the truck when I bought it, and the previous owner may have bought the tires used, but given what he spent on truck mods I doubt he would have purchased used tires. If they were a new purchase then they seem to wear very quickly.

My next set will be some Goodyear Duratracs. I've read they last a really long time, and even though the Nitto's look the best of any offroad tire, I just can't justify a tire that may only last 20-30k miles.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
20K-30K miles out of the Nittos would be disappointing for sure. Maybe the mile I got out of the MTZ's was pure luck, but I would hope to get more like 40-50K out of my next purchase. Am I dreaming?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Trail grapplers get my vote. I have the 285/65/18 on my 2002. Had them on for about 2 years roughly 20,000 miles. Show very little wear, just keep em rotated/balanced and youll be good. Side note, had the nitto terra grapps on before and got 50,000 out of them. Nitto makes a great tire very impressed.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.