Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

· Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,
I'm thinking of making my own front grille since I don't like the look of the stock one.

I've got the idea in my head and will take a few steps from the How-to guide on how to make the front grille.
Only problem is that I can't figure out what the thick chicken wire mesh would be called to find a place that would sell it.

Any help on this would be appreciated.

· Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
^ Not open on weekends.

I went to Home Depot and picked up some flat steel 1 1/2 inch, slotted angle iron, bolt/nuts, and the extended metal...Came to $190

They only carry 24''x24'' extended metal, so I picked up two in hopes of lining up the edges against eachother since the width of the front grille is about 41'' (I'd cut off the excess)

But...At $36 per sheet...I don't think it's worth it. I'll have to find somewhere else that has a 4' section of the stuff around me.
So far, no luck...I've looked at Rona, Lowes, Canadian Tire, and Home Depot..Biggest is 2'

· Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ferraiolo1 said:
Did you do any shopping for metal mesh grills? You can get them for less than $300. Even with holes for led bars.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I did, and couldn't find much. There are a couple grilles that are $250-270 before taxes that look alright, but they don't eliminate the stock grille it'self, it just goes over top of it so you can still see the faint "GMC" under it, which I don't like.

Like that.

· Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Came out not bad. I really wish I would have found one piece of mesh instead of using two. I just rockguarded it, so the thick texture should cover the tiny ziptie heads and blend the two blacks together so you won't beable to notice.

· Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ran into a snag when installing. I have the mesh bent out/in on the top and bottom so it's snug against the top/bottom. Problem is the top part, I didn't cut out the bend mesh so it can sit ontop of the metal bracket mounting points on the truck.
I'll have to run to the store tomorrow after work and pick up another overpriced pack of dremel blades to finish it off.

· Registered
301 Posts
IMG_1890.JPG
IMG_1891.JPG
IMG_1889.JPG
Turned out alright after I trimmed off the bit of metal.
2 things I don't like is how you can see the bracket in behind it, and along the top how the plastic trim is exposed.

I'm thinking about putting the gmc logo back on to hide the brackets

Attachments

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.