Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner

Mileage question

2K views 24 replies 13 participants last post by  Copperhead 
#1 ·
Is approx. 75,000 on a 2013 6.0L Crew Cab LTZ high? Its just over 18,500 a year. Looks immaculate. They are asking $32,995.

Thanks
Bob

#2 ·
Was definitely a daily driver. Take a good look at the carfax and check for rust and all that. But you can put 250k on a 6.0 and it'll still run like new

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#3 ·
Clean Carfax, 1 owner, no accidents. I'll have to take a look at the underneath.

Thanks

#4 ·
12.5k is average.

Kind of comes down to how many miles you drive a year. I drive older rigs, so I stick to the 12.5k rule of thumb.
I drive 10-12k a year, so a rig with around 100k should last me about 10 years before it starts trying to steal my nickles and dimes.
My last two used rigs were 10 (Toyota) and 8 (Chevy)yo, both with 100k and I put on another 110k and 140k over 9 and 12 years, the 06 Sierra had 128k when I got it in February.

#6 ·
So out of the blue a 2012 LTZ Crew Cab just showed up at a local dealership, where i bought my original Silverado from. Excellent condition, fully loaded minus a sunroof, 6.0L with 3.73 gears, about 43k miles on it. Asking $36k for it. Is it worth it, going from a 5.3 W 3.42s to a 6.0 with 3.73s? Gas mileage can't be worse then what I am getting now, 12mpg.

#8 ·
Is it worth it to upgrade to a 2500? You,ll feel a big increase in power, but what do you tow or carry around? A 6.0 would show a big difference in towing capability. My dad just sold his 2500 for a R*m :cry: and towing the boat up north was much easier in his truck. I could barley even feel the boat on the back! So if you tow or plow it'll be worth it. Or if you don't tow and just want a bad ass powerful truck! Both are good reason, in the end it's all up to you! Goodluck

#10 ·
thats all i get now maybe i should move up to the 2500 lol

#11 ·
I don't know if I would say itll feel so much more powerful. It might feel a little more powerful because your going from 3.42's to 3.73's but it would feel a lot more powerful if you went to 4.10's. Also, though its a bigger engine and all, its also a much heavier truck. If my money were on which truck would win a 1/4 mile drag, I would put it on your current truck winning 7 days a week.
Gas 2500's are meant to move big loads every day, not necessarily move them fast. People that need to move huge loads fast get a diesel 2500, and those of us that just want to move loads, get a gas 2500. Most of the time I keep up with diesels though, just not in steep mountain country.

#12 ·
Honestly, overall I just want a bigger stronger truck. I miss having a full size bed...this 5' 8" bed kills me trying to put ANYTHING into it. The 5.3 just doesn't have the power i expected with 33's and I'd like to go a little taller. After i test drove this 2500, I definitely don't see myself in a 1500 again. Even the 2500 cab felt bigger then my 1500 cab. Do I see myself towing in the future, maybe. I don't get great gas mileage now, never hit better then 18mpg on my stock (non-lifted) 1500, so I'm used to the low MPG....but we really don't buy trucks for MPG's, hahaha.

I don't know if I'll pull the trigger or not yet. This truck popped up out of nowhere and its definitely a good looking truck. I'm still wishing for that diesel to just pop up at a great price....but aren't we all?

Thanks for the info guys
Bob

#13 ·
I was pretty much 3/4 ton till I got a 2013 1500. I could never grow fond of it though. In some instances I was inventing new swear words. So I ditched it and went back to a 2015 2500. Now this is a pickup I can keep for a long, long time. Haul more, tow more, and the L96 6.0 is just about the most bullet proof engine GM has now. Not uncommon for them to exceed 300,000 miles with no major repair. The engine usually outlasts the pickup.

My needs are primarily hauling and some towing locally. And with two people in the truck, a full tank of fuel, and roughly 200 lb of tools and such in the back, I still have 2300 lb of payload capability. Putting a ton of building material or oil drums in the back of a 1500 is not pretty. My 2500 barely squats and hardly knows anything is in the bed. And the 6.0 combined with the 6L90 trans and 4.10 diffs will pull the side of the barn down. Maybe not as quickly as a diesel, but just as effective.

I see it as similar to the newer fancy rifles and cartridges compared to something like the tried and true 30.06, 30-30, or 45-70. Yeah, those older cartridges may not have all the zing of the new stuff, but they have dropped more large game in this country than all the other cartridges combined. And two of them fought a lot of our wars. Sometimes it just pays to stick with something that works. And a Vortec L96 6.0, 6L90, 4.10 just plain works and works and works.

And driven right, not bad on mpg. Mine has averaged roughly 14 mpg for its entire life. I have pulled off some 17-18 mpg road trips (empty of course). That 14 mpg lifetime is for all miles... daily rural hilly gravel roads, in town, highway, hauling, off road farm/ranch use, all of it.

#14 ·
Copperhead said:
. Maybe not as quickly as a diesel, but just as effective.

Sometimes it just pays to stick with something that works. And a Vortec L96 6.0, 6L90, 4.10 just plain works and works and works.
I couldn't agree more.

To the OP, I didn't know you had 33's on it. Maybe I wasn't paying attention. If your going to throw big shoes on the 2500, I would strongly suggest starting off with 4.10's or you may turn that truck into a dog with big tires and 3.73's.

#17 ·
Speaking from experience, make sure you check the truck over really well. I bought my truck with a clean carfax and didn't realize it had been previously wrecked until I washed it the next day. Turns out the passenger door had body work done and it was only OK. I bought the truck on a overcast day and never even saw it. I ended up keeping it because it had the 6.2L, the damage wasn't that bad, and I got it for a hell of a good deal. Figured I could just fix the body work later if It really bothered me. I'm 3 years in and still very happy with the truck. Moral of the story, don't buy a truck on an overcast day and don't believe in the carfax report.

#18 ·
I do not tow much other than a 2 place sled trailer and a small flat bed to mow my mothers lawn with my zero turn.I am easy on the gas and can get up to 17 on the highway with 4.10's on my 2500. I hear of guys getting the low 20's on the highway with their 1500's.I would have to see it to believe it B4 I switch from a 2500 and the power when needed.My mileage around town is between 11 and 13.6.

#19 ·
The average fuel economy for my 2013 1500 5.3 Vortec with 3.42 was only 1 mpg better than my current 2015 2500 6.0 Vortec with 4.10 and weighing in about 1000 lb more and can easily carry over a ton in the back without being over gross.

#20 ·
Jasen said:
12.5k is average.

Kind of comes down to how many miles you drive a year. I drive older rigs, so I stick to the 12.5k rule of thumb.
I drive 10-12k a year, so a rig with around 100k should last me about 10 years before it starts trying to steal my nickles and dimes.
My last two used rigs were 10 (Toyota) and 8 (Chevy)yo, both with 100k and I put on another 110k and 140k over 9 and 12 years, the 06 Sierra had 128k when I got it in February.
about 4 months ago I got an 08 2500HD LT with a duramax that had only 35000 miles for 26,900. I prefer older low mileage vehicles adn let someone else take the HUGE depreciation hit. I could have gotten a newer 11 or 12 that had 100,000-150,000 miles but perfered the lower mileage because I only drive about 12000 a year

#21 ·
I've noticed you have referenced the fuel economy you are getting now vs what you would get with the 6.0 in a 2500 multiple times. Even went as far as saying that it can't be worse than what you get now. A stock 1500 with 5.3 and 3.73 gears will get considerably better mileage than you are getting now. I've got a 2004 with the 4 speed. I haul tools and construction materials through the mountains on back country roads averaging 45mph on a 112 mile round trip for work and I still am getting 16mpg even on winter fuel. You're truck should do better than Having 33's on will make some difference for sure but I'd bet that going easier on the loud pedal would make an even bigger difference. If you are driving the 1500 like a hot rod rather than a truck and you step into the 6.0 you will absolutely see far worse fuel mileage. Add some bigger tires and other mods and you could easily drop down into the 6-8mpg range if a heavy foot is still in play. My point is. Your 1500 gets considerably better fuel mileage than that stock with reasonable driving habits. Don't expect the 2500 to get the same mileage you get now and it normally gets if you do the same things with it. As many have said. The 6.0 is a solid engine. At those miles it is barely broken in.

#22 ·
Definitely some solid truth in that. Driving style has as much to do with fuel economy as the engine or platform it is in. I can get almost as good of mpg from my commercial truck with a gross of 75,000 lb that some get here with a 1500 towing a trailer, both of which barely would tip the scales at 14,000 lb. That has to be because of driving style differences and not just vehicle or fuel being used. And I can get very respectable mpg from my 2500 6.0 that is only 1 mpg average lower than my previous 1500 5.3L. And given the 2500 is far more pickup and can do substantially more than a 1500, the 1 mpg difference doesn't even measure on the meter for me.

#23 ·
Not saying it is all driving style either. If the 1500 was modded for bigger tires, intake and exhaust mods for what ever sound. The list can go on and on in things that will cause an MPG decrease. If you did a mod to the 1500 there is a good chance you'll probably want to do it to the 2500 also. Just because you are starting off with more power. Doesn't mean the mod bug won't bite. Sometimes it bites even harder since there is more potential to be unlocked. Just saying that I know and have known plenty of people that got a 3/4 or 1 ton truck. It's real easy to see the mpg on those beasts drop way low. Not even a close comparison as age is so different in the trucks. But I know the K20 I had with 400sbc could see 4mpg if I was not trying to go easy on it. On the other hand if I was trying to hyper mile. I could get up to about 10. Some lift, tires, some power adders and soon you'll swear you can see the fuel needle going down when hitting it hard off road. If fuel mpg is a concern with buying this truck. Then don't go into a 2500 with the thought that you are going to save or even break even because you won't in the long run.

#25 ·
Area of the country and general demand for the pickup has a play in how much it is priced for, but I would have to agree, that is a pretty high price in general. Especially since I got my 2015 2500 6.0 Double Cab Z71 LT with snow plow prep package and Line-x bedliner thrown in for $39K brand new.

I moved it over to my business stuff and needed a starting value for depreciation. Looked it up on KBB and with 24K miles, KBB had it valued at $32K.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.