Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few weeks ago I started to notice an intermittent miss at idle. It was fine while driving, only idling. It also didn't do it all the time, just here and there. It would throw a check engine light one day and then be gone for several, then come on again. I went ahead and replaced all the plugs and wires.

Today the miss came back and check engine light came on and I went right to the auto parts store to scan it. I got 2 codes for a misfire on #5.

Other than coil, is there anything else I should check/replace?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

· Member Extraordinaire, How-To Author, TOTM
23,197 Posts
Then I would check the plug gap and plug bolt. Did you apply dialectic grease to them? Since you were messing around down there that might be your issue

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I did apply dialectric grease.

By "plug bolt", what do you mean? Like the tightness of the plug?

I will definitely check all the basics, understand that. But I had the same miss before and after plug/wire change. So I have a hunch it's something else

· Member Extraordinaire, How-To Author, TOTM
23,197 Posts
I'm not sure why auto correct added plug bolt.

But then never mind if this issue was occurring before the plug change then I wold go coil, or an injector

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
2,304 Posts
probably the load on the engine or the rpm change if your talking at idle. Any change like putting it in drive will change the parameters of the tune. I think you should take it slow and steady from here. You could swap coils around and see if the misfire moves with the change. Same with injectors.

· Registered
16 Posts
i'm not sure if this will apply because I am just becoming familiar with the NNBS myself (I just purchased a 2009 6.0). However I had a 2002 5.3 that had similar issues, multiple misfires and random misfire on cylinder 6. It would sometimes do it at idle or only when in tow haul and at 2500 rpm. I did what one would expect, spark plugs and wires, which did not fix the issue and was getting ready to start changing out the coils. I stumbled upon a thread regarding crank position relearn procedure. I am fortunate enough to have access to a high end OBDII scanner. Performed the crank position relearn and problem solved. Something to think about once you have addressed the usual suspects.

· Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ronstopable said:
i'm not sure if this will apply because I am just becoming familiar with the NNBS myself (I just purchased a 2009 6.0). However I had a 2002 5.3 that had similar issues, multiple misfires and random misfire on cylinder 6. It would sometimes do it at idle or only when in tow haul and at 2500 rpm. I did what one would expect, spark plugs and wires, which did not fix the issue and was getting ready to start changing out the coils. I stumbled upon a thread regarding crank position relearn procedure. I am fortunate enough to have access to a high end OBDII scanner. Performed the crank position relearn and problem solved. Something to think about once you have addressed the usual suspects.
Interesting. Is it just plug in, hit reset and call it a day? Or do you have to set the engine at a certain place? I don't have a OBD2 scanner. Will the cheap ones you borrow from the auto parts store not work?

· Registered
382 Posts
I had similar problems, but mine threw 'random misfire' and 'cylinder 7 misfire'. It only happened while the motor was under a load. I had my coils tested and one showed bad, and a couple others showed weak. I replaced those coils and the problem went away.

· Registered
16 Posts
I am not 100% positive but I don't think you can do it with an auto parts store scanner. Chances are if it won't read abs codes you won't be able to do crank relearn. Any reputable garage should be able to do it with their scan tool. Basically plug in navigate to crank relearn and it walks you through the process which includes revving and holding engine at 4000 rpm until relearn is complete. Process took all of about 15 minutes. Hopefully it will solve your problem. I spent about a month running in circles before I happened along that post.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.