Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

Registered
2014 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi-

I'm trying to help my fiance get his truck fixed.

Long story short - his 2014 Silverado is a driveway ornament. He noticed on one of the rare occasions it was driven this fall that the check engine light was on, but it was intermittent.
So, we took it to the dealership to get fixed. Turns out, there was a bunch of crap that needed replaced (which they did) and they said the cats needed replaced. Took it to another shop for that, they said the cats were fine. Took it back to the dealership, did more work to it, said it was fixed. Drove 20 minutes down the road and the check engine light kicked back on. Took it back and they can't figure it out.
It's at another shop now and the guy called and said it's running really rich and thinks the fuel injectors were put in incorrectly in the wrong order. I didn't even know that was a thing and have spent the last hour scouring the internet for the injector diagram with no luck.

Please help. 馃槶

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Lmao yeah that鈥檚 not a thing you got the old bad dealership woes looks like they are just throwing parts and praying it fixes instead of diagnosing it 馃う鈥嶁檪锔
I thought the whole thing sounded really sus. I'm in no way a mechanic, but I grew up surrounded by enough of it to where I know basic troubleshooting.
I thought it was a bad valve or something along those lines. I know one of the codes it's throwing is P0172, I forgot what the other was but it's also emissions related.

Registered
Gustafson
P0172 code is a rich condition, right? So I would think you might want to check spark plugs, and a fuel injector could be bad...

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So, during it's last trip to the shop - all injectors, o2 sensors, high pressure fuel pump replaced, mass air flow sensor... all those have been replaced. 馃し鈥嶁檧锔

I'm at a loss.

Registered
If I counted right, the truck has been twice at the dealer and two other shops. Sounds like the places you've taken it to just want to throw parts at it and see what happens. Pretty easy for a shop to blame the shop before them if they have no clue, which clearly this last one doesn't have.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If I counted right, the truck has been twice at the dealer and two other shops. Sounds like the places you've taken it to just want to throw parts at it and see what happens. Pretty easy for a shop to blame the shop before them if they have no clue, which clearly this last one doesn't have.
It's been to the local chevy dealer 3 times and it's at another shop now.
But yes, I agree. They're just throwing things at it at this point. 馃う鈥嶁檧锔

It's a shame because it's a really nice truck and minus the check engine light being on, it runs fine. I spent the last week driving it while my car is in the shop. My brother and dad both work at another dealership and offered him $25k for it and at this point, that might be the best option.

Registered
Find a shop who can look at the live data while the engine is running and know how to interpret it.
If you were in New York state, I'd recommend South Main Auto. His troubleshooting skills on his YouTube channel are amazing.

Also, if someone replaced all those things you listed, you're now riding on "new" parts that may not be OEM. The parts they took out had been with the truck forever, so one might think they should continue go give good service.

Why aren't your brother and dad helping?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Oh, they have. My dad did some work on it too and thinks maybe it's a bad chip since everything else was replaced. 馃し鈥嶁檧锔
There is a possibility that my fiance didn't get OEM o2 sensors or a MAS because he and my dad put those on.

I dunno. I like the truck and he doesn't owe much left on it, but this has been such a headache. 馃う鈥嶁檧锔
Find a shop who can look at the live data while the engine is running and know how to interpret it.
If you were in New York state, I'd recommend South Main Auto. His troubleshooting skills on his YouTube channel are amazing.

Also, if someone replaced all those things you listed, you're now riding on "new" parts that may not be OEM. The parts they took out had been with the truck forever, so one might think they should continue go give good service.

Why aren't your brother and dad helping?

Registered
1999 Silverado ECSB 6.0
I would check what other trucks similar to yours are selling for in your area and then comparing to the $25k buy option. May not be so bad just to dump it if you don't want to put a lot of money into it.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts