Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Purchased and had professionally installed a:
Pioneer AVIC-8201NEX
Metra LC-GMRC-01
Metra 40-GM10
Metra ASWC-1

This was on a 2004 Chevy Silverado C1500 WT and no steering wheel controls.
I have added steering wheel buttons, clockspring with wires, temperature controls on the rear view mirror.

Prior to installation when you opened the doors, no lights would come on. After installation, the overhead lights light up when the door is open and remain on for 5-10 seconds.

Did one of these components cause this, or was it some programming that took place in the background? I was under the impression the BCM controlled this.

Additionally, I ordered a new instrument clusters with a trans temp gauge, LED lights, and that's programmed to accept steering wheel controls (free option with purchase).

I report in later on what happens with that one.

·
Registered
202 Posts
haha that is exactly the button I thought it was, That had me tripped up for a couple hours when I was pushing all the button when I got my truck a month ago.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Glad it was something easy. I know how it is to look for a bigger reason for something happening, but the parts you used are the same that I have on my radio install pretty much, and none of them really do anything with the dome light.

Did you get the cluster programmed to your current mileage, or did you take a guess at where you'll be when you can install it? I need to get mine fixed (sticky speedo), and I wouldn't mind the trans temp gauge.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Purchased an instrument cluster from fixmygauges.com
Added Transmission gauge, white escalade background, blue LEDs, and blue/silver pointers.
Installed cluster.
The updated cluster said Driver 1 (that's new) and new option for Business miles on the menu.
The Steering wheel controls did not work after installation.
Cluster.jpg

Next hired a tech to flash the BCM (Body Control Module)

The Tech called AC Delco to receive VCI codes after I sent him this article:
"If your truck was not equipped with rpo code (UK3) which is redundant radio controls, your body controller will not recognize or (turn on) the radio controls. In addition the instrument cluster will not recognize or turn on the DIC functionality. Therefore, your dealer will have to call the Techline Support center. This is not the same as TAC. Techline is for software, programming...etc. They need to explain what they are doing and request a 2 VCI numbers. A VCI number is a new calibration code which will allow your controllers to turn on the radio and DIC controls. They need to get a code for the IPC and one for the TBC. They will then request info from the vehicle with their Tech 2 handheld device. They then take the Tech 2 to their PC loaded with TIS2000 and perform a SPS programming function using the VCI numbers. This will load the calibration into the Tech 2. They then take the Tech 2 back to the vehicle and load the new calibration into the vehicle. They will need to go through this process twice, once for the IPC and again for the TBC using the new VCI numbers."

AC Delco will need your VIN number and the information off of your BCM. They will issue two VCI codes and charge the technician or shop $40 per code. The technician will download the updated firmware to flash the BCM and Instrument Cluster. Additionally, AC Delco updates the national database of VINs. The purpose of this is in case you take your vehicle to another shop for flashing/updating the firmware, the shop will download the associated firmware for your new steering wheel codes and not wipe out what the previous tech did.

Troubleshooting, I had an aftermarket radio installed with the Metra steering wheel controls pre-wired. This caused communication errors when attempting to flash the BCM/Instrument cluster. Pull the fuse or disconnect the radio (for me, the second connector behind the radio) to enable communications.

Note: Get up front pricing on the VCI #'s needed or you'll get a surprise charge.
Note: According the GM, BCM programming is .5 hours labor. All the shops I called want to charge at least a full hour.

The buttons still do not work, however this may be due to the programming that was wiped when resetting the radio. I'll post later if the audio installers with the Metra module get it working.

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
Purchased an instrument cluster from fixmygauges.com
Added Transmission gauge, white escalade background, blue LEDs, and blue/silver pointers.
Installed cluster.
The updated cluster said Driver 1 (that's new) and new option for Business miles on the menu.
The Steering wheel controls did not work after installation.

Next hired a tech to flash the BCM (Body Control Module)

The Tech called AC Delco to receive VCI codes after I sent him this article:
"If your truck was not equipped with rpo code (UK3) which is redundant radio controls, your body controller will not recognize or (turn on) the radio controls. In addition the instrument cluster will not recognize or turn on the DIC functionality. Therefore, your dealer will have to call the Techline Support center. This is not the same as TAC. Techline is for software, programming...etc. They need to explain what they are doing and request a 2 VCI numbers. A VCI number is a new calibration code which will allow your controllers to turn on the radio and DIC controls. They need to get a code for the IPC and one for the TBC. They will then request info from the vehicle with their Tech 2 handheld device. They then take the Tech 2 to their PC loaded with TIS2000 and perform a SPS programming function using the VCI numbers. This will load the calibration into the Tech 2. They then take the Tech 2 back to the vehicle and load the new calibration into the vehicle. They will need to go through this process twice, once for the IPC and again for the TBC using the new VCI numbers."

AC Delco will need your VIN number and the information off of your BCM. They will issue two VCI codes and charge the technician or shop $40 per code. The technician will download the updated firmware to flash the BCM and Instrument Cluster. Additionally, AC Delco updates the national database of VINs. The purpose of this is in case you take your vehicle to another shop for flashing/updating the firmware, the shop will download the associated firmware for your new steering wheel codes and not wipe out what the previous tech did.

Troubleshooting, I had an aftermarket radio installed with the Metra steering wheel controls pre-wired. This caused communication errors when attempting to flash the BCM/Instrument cluster. Pull the fuse or disconnect the radio (for me, the second connector behind the radio) to enable communications.

Note: Get up front pricing on the VCI #'s needed or you'll get a surprise charge.
Note: According the GM, BCM programming is .5 hours labor. All the shops I called want to charge at least a full hour.

The buttons still do not work, however this may be due to the programming that was wiped when resetting the radio. I'll post later if the audio installers with the Metra module get it working.
im thinking about doing the same dealership is willing to do it so any update? On your outcome

1 - 7 of 7 Posts