Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
551 Posts
WAYYYY better. Just re aim your lights so you don't blind anyone. There's going to be a lot of guys that are going to complain about putting HIDs in factory housings. The light output is awesome.

I went with the 55w ballasts and 5000k bulbs. Couldn't be happier with them.

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
I love my hids from Trs. I went with the 35w ballasts with the 5500k f3 bulbs. That said the factory projectors aren't great, but they will get the job done. Not sure if they have retrofit projectors for the 14 Sierra yet though.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
KCCOsteve said:
I love my hids from Trs. I went with the 35w ballasts with the 5500k f3 bulbs. That said the factory projectors aren't great, but they will get the job done. Not sure if they have retrofit projectors for the 14 Sierra yet though.
Well the product that I posted from TRS is supposed to be a Sierra specific kit for the 2014+. I assume it's just a higher lumen bulb. From what I've read about it, it's pretty much a plug and play...just looking to go this route for now instead of swapping out the projectors

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
You shouldn't have any issues. Those guys with trs are fantastic. Mine was super easy. Only thing you will have to do is still a hole in the access cover for the lights so the wires can get to the ballasts.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I actually messaged them and they are plug and play meant for the 14 Sierras since they got so many requests for it. I'm thinking about getting the 5ks.

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
I like 5k. I have 5500k and love it. (some special bulb they have). I do like 6k too, and it is easier to match to any led lights you may want to get.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
KCCOsteve said:
I like 5k. I have 5500k and love it. (some special bulb they have). I do like 6k too, and it is easier to match to any led lights you may want to get.
So what is the benefit of having the 55w ballasts?? Would you recommend it? Any downfalls?

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
Supposedly you get approx 20% more brightness, approx 50% less life

·
Registered
81 Posts
What little understanding of ballasts in hids that i have is that when you go to a higher one it makes it brighter and makes the diode burn out quicker. Granted I honestly have no idea on it. So anybody feel free to correct as you see fit.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks fellas, pretty sure I'm going to go ahead and get these. I'll update date yall with some pics when I get them on if I can!

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
JMIL199 said:
What little understanding of ballasts in hids that i have is that when you go to a higher one it makes it brighter and makes the diode burn out quicker. Granted I honestly have no idea on it. So anybody feel free to correct as you see fit.
What diode? All that is shortened is the life span of the bulb, which as far as I know, is essentially just 2 electrodes that go to a gas filled chamber.

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
They don't have a diode. That is an led. Light emitting diode

·
Registered
477 Posts
Dmanj said:
Most don't. Is their supposed to be a point made with that statement?
Trying to make a joke about JMIL199 saying the diode on HID burns out.

Also being sarcastic with the obviously no so sarcastic remark on the not all diodes are light emitting.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts