Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, quick question:

I'm wanting to drop in a Magnaflow muffler on my '04 2500HD, 6.0 Gas. No cat-back kit or anything, just a weld-in muffler to give the truck some balls.

With that being said, can anyone give me the specs on the muffler I'll need? Inlet/Outlet diameter and what not...

Thanks!

·
Registered
264 Posts
Hey there I was in a similar situation as you, but with my 2010 1500. I can't give you a direct answer, but I can teach you how to fish through my process which you can apply to yours.

First I looked under my truck and measured muffler length, inlet OD, and outlet OD as well as positioning. Mine was 25" long, with a center inlet and offset outlet. The inlet OD was 3" and the outlet was 2.75." This gave me some rough specs to work with.
I then looked at the magnaflow website for their exhaust systems that would specifically fit my truck and took note of the muffler dimensions included in the kit as a reference. The dual exhaust had an 18" muffler and the single outlet had a 22" muffler. Both mufflers had a 3" inlet/outlet. This helped me narrow down which mufflers to choose from. (I wanted magnaflow because of their straight through design, material quality, and comments from the forum).

Once I decided on what muffler to go with I ordered a 3" to 2.75" reducer for the Outlet, and 2 lap joint band clamps to bolt the muffler right in. I went this rout instead of welding in case I wanted to swap a different muffler, though welding is a more solid option. I cut the old out and bolted the new one in and it worked out great.

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks bigrig, guess I'll just have to wait till I get home and verify if the inlet and outlet piping are different diameters. I got that Magnapack part number off a YouTube vid where a guy put that exact muffler on his 6.0, but I don't wanna screw up and order a 3'' in and out only to find out I have fitment issues.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I know what you mean! I tend to look deep into everything so there are no surprises. You'd hate to cut the muffler off, only to find out you need to drive it to the store for more parts!

Another thing to consider is whether or not your truck has a resonator just before the tail pipe. The girlfriend has a 2008 with a 6.0 and it has the resonator...she wont let me cut it off though :geek:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Interesting! I might as well bust out the creeper on this deal. Ya know, all the times I've changed the oil on this truck, and I've never scooted that creeper down to check out the exhaust. Just one o' them things I guess!

·
Registered
264 Posts
I think I saw a truck similar to yours on my way home from work. I doubt you have the resonator to worry about. Double check your inlet diameter, but I think you'll want to go with 3.5" inlets/outlets.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.