Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've own a lot of trucks and I've always wanted more. Not more trucks, but more of a truck.
I have finally got my dream truck. But like almost every guy. We want more power :D
The tuner is Soon to come. :cool:

·
Registered
8,474 Posts
Sweet!
Wow, that engine is really packed in there. Has to be hard to work on?
Also, what kind of tune can you do on a diesel? I am not familiar with the capabilities of the diesel engine, but would love to learn!

Great pics!

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
LOL Yeah. It's a little difficult to work on. Not so much cause it's tight but cause it's so high.
If you pull off the front wheels the inner wheel wells can come off to access the sides of the engine.
Pretty much what ever you can do we can do :) But we can tweak and tune our turbos, or go bigger turbos and even double up the turbos. Increasing fuel rail pressures, modifying exhaust and intake.
Check a video I found. Get an idea.

·
Registered
8,474 Posts
In2Trux,
What kind of MPG's do you get with your truck? I have heard that diesels are much better than gas...

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey Eric
I haven't done the math... mostly cause I don't want to know. Diesel or not, it's still a 6.6L engine.
What I can tell ya is my DIC says I'm doing 15.7L per every 100km. Not sure what that converts to in gl per mls

·
Premium Member
1,542 Posts
i want a dirtymax i think thats my next truck. was it worth getting the diesel. my dad has a 99 with w 6.5 diesel and he tells me not to get a diesel. He also told me not to get back rims or anything black and i think my truck looks sick.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I don't regret getting my Duramax at all. I love this truck and it's drive train. I love the power, the sound of the DMax and especially the sound of the turbo when it starts to spool up every time I take off.
I love the smoke it makes when I stomp on it at a green
And I also like the fact all my friends and family is paying $1.14L for gas and I'm paying $0.91L for diesel.

I hope you get your Duramax soon Oliver.. I sure would like the company here :D

·
Registered
8,474 Posts
In2Trux said:
Hey Eric
I haven't done the math... mostly cause I don't want to know. Diesel or not, it's still a 6.6L engine.
What I can tell ya is my DIC says I'm doing 15.7L per every 100km. Not sure what that converts to in gl per mls
By my math, this is about 14.94 miles per gallon. Like you said, it is still a 6.6L engine, and it does not sound like you are shy about excercising that motor! I think it's really pretty good, given the amount of power you have.

·
Premium Member
1,542 Posts
yea i get 15 mpg in my 6.0 gas and the dmax has a lot more power then my truck has. i think i use to get like 12 mpgs in my 5.7 but thats because i would always drive on the interstate and not go slow 95 all that way.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
EKinMN said:
In2Trux said:
Hey Eric
By my math, this is about 14.94 miles per gallon. Like you said, it is still a 6.6L engine, and it does not sound like you are shy about exercising that motor! I think it's really pretty good, given the amount of power you have.
Thanks Eric for getting your calculator out and doing the math for me. Wow I think I better smarten up with my driving. I know I could do better then 14.94 mpg.
I'm admittedly one of those guys that always does the "jack rabbit" starts at green lights. and is always in the left lane and trying to work my way to the front on the line. Just my competitiveness. When I have a passenger, all the competitiveness stops. I should have a passenger all the time, then maybe the 14.94 mpg would definitely improve.
Tkx again Eric

·
Registered
8,474 Posts
I often keep my DIC in the "instant MPG" mode, so I can see how I am doing at all times. It tends to keep my foot a little lighter on the pedal. I have noticed that lately, as the engine is getting more miles on it, I tend to want to tap into that V-8 power more often. I can get mid 18's if I want to. Mid 17's is more likely. Plus, I have a son who is just starting to drive, so I have to keep it mellow around him, or "monkey see, monkey do".

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
In2Trux said:
I've own a lot of trucks and I've always wanted more. Not more trucks, but more of a truck.
I have finally got my dream truck. But like almost every guy. We want more power :D
The tuner is Soon to come. :cool:

I don't know what it is but I went from 15.7L per 100 km back in Nov. To 17 L per 100 km maybe it's my driving habits or maybe the cold weather.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Hey I was just curious if you got your tuner in and what kind of gains did you see? I am looking into getting a d-max, right now I am on the fence with the higher cost of diesel. I know you do not buy a truck with power for it fuel sipping characteristics, but I would like to know if your tuner changes the setup for eco mode and power mode, and if so what kind of numbers do you get?

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
No Tuner yet... Still saving my Loonies and Toonies. but from the research I've done so far. The benefits from the investment are great. I'm looking forward to this summer.

·
Registered
3 Posts
olliepop2500 said:
yea i get 15 mpg in my 6.0 gas and the dmax has a lot more power then my truck has. i think i use to get like 12 mpgs in my 5.7 but thats because i would always drive on the interstate and not go slow 95 all that way.
I got a 2008 LMM and if I drive it right I average around 17 city and at 65 on a good cool day I can get up to 21 mpg. The only Mod is a stage 2 cold air kit. I'm hoping a dpf and cat delete 5" exhaust will improve me another 1-3 mpg.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts