Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4,351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Within a few days of having my 2013 for 6 months. Within the first two months, it got 2" RC leveling kit, Raptor running boards, all factory fluids, lubes, and engine oil changed out, a PCV oil catch can, and a Range AFM Delete, and deleted daytime running lights and park assist sensors and removed the front air dam on the lower part of the bumper. Oh, and since I live down gravel roads, I long since took the spare tire out from under the bed and now have it in the bed with a tire cover on it for UV protection. I took it out from under the pickup at about 2 months, and had to almost take a pressure washer to it to get all the mud and gravel off it. Have taken the pickup on some pretty good off roading. Doesn't do as well as my Jeep did, but not bad.

But, I have maybe had the radio on 3 times, have never selected XM (haven't tried or wanted to, so not totally sure what and how to select XM), have never used any aspect of Onstar, used the backup camera one time with very negative results ( roughly $2500 damage to pickup) so I have avoided using it since. Was hard swallowing that I hadn't done any damage to a pickup since 1973 and I did a whopper amount of damage within the first 30 days of owning this one. Kinda get the feeling I have more goofy stuff I paid for than I needed. A lot of this stuff sure looks good on paper and sounds good during the buying process, but sure isn't playing out as well in the real world for me. Do like the comfort level, so not sure getting a work truck package, I would have been happy with that. I do like the very good adjustable seats, adjustable peddles, quiet interior and other creature comforts. All the other stuff looks neat, i guess, so can say I got all of these extra features like XM, backup camera, etc. I just don't use them. Well for one thing, they will never quit working, or at least, I will never know if they do!

·
Registered
386 Posts
At least the extras you don't use will help with the trade in value down the road maybe so the money isn't totally wasted. I too live down gravel and have never thought of taking the tire out from under the truck. Do you have it upright strapped to the side of the bed like the old timer farmers do? lol

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
I chat sometimes with the mechanics at my local dealership. They often tell me the best truck you could buy, is a WT with everything deleted. I don't even think it's an option any more, but one of the guys even said that the manual 4x4 selector would be better than the auto.

I just find it interesting hearing it from the guys that work on them. They weren't in any way putting down the optioned out trucks, just saying for longevity and less chance of issues, that would be the way to go.

Mine is just an LT, but I can definitely understand what they're saying. Might have to look at a WT next time (although I think it will be a while before I'm looking at a new truck) LOL

·
Registered
4,351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
bachman44 said:
At least the extras you don't use will help with the trade in value down the road maybe so the money isn't totally wasted. I too live down gravel and have never thought of taking the tire out from under the truck. Do you have it upright strapped to the side of the bed like the old timer farmers do? lol
No, just have in laying in the bed flat. Thought at one time of making a bracket that could be installed into one of the cutouts in the bed wall up front. Just remove the plastic cap and install a bracket. Haven't invested any time into that idea. I have a large tool box up front there. But I did install several tie downs into most of those cutouts in the bed walls.

My county and I have a running argument about their road maintenance style. Whenever it rains real hard, or during the spring thaws, the road becomes the county mud bog event area it seems like. They had talked, around 15 years ago, of paving that section, but budgets never worked in that direction. In fact the road just got worse and didn't get the attention it needed.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.