Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
41 - 53 of 53 Posts

Registered
Joined
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·

It's alive! Put a shitload of hours in on it over the last week+, cause I'm getting kicked off my old man's lift for his dumb new Mopars. A lot of the final little details turned out really well. It's uncanny how well a truck fuse block and PCM fit a Beretta. haha And my modified headers miraculously can be removed from the top side, and still have access to the starter and steering shaft.
The fuel tank and a couple other things are sloppy cobbed together at the moment, so it's still not road worthy. But it runs and will be making tire smoke by this weekend. More detailed video coming soon, obviously.




 

Registered
2009, 2500HD, 6.0 L, 4x4, Ext Cab, Alumn FlatBed
Joined
576 Posts
Nothing like a man with desire, dreams, and talent!

Let me know when you need a vacation and you can come over and help me with my projects :)
 

Registered
Joined
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
Nothing like a man with desire, dreams, and talent!

Let me know when you need a vacation and you can come over and help me with my projects :)
haha I don't even have enough time to get all my stuff done!

Here's the thrash video. And the next one will show smoke!




After I got it fired, I discovered the clutch wouldn't fully disengage. 6.1:1 Wilwood pedals and 3/4 bore master should have been ok considering the 4th gens had 6:1 pedals and 3/4 master cyl...but apparently McLeod and Spec clutches both need a 7/8 master. Fittingly enough, my used Spec clutch did come with a 7/8 master. Probably should have done some homework on that then. But it was a universal style Tilton that fit the Wilwood pedals just like the Afcos I'm running.



It was sketchy AF on the initial test drive! My "oh how bad can it be" bumpsteer was really bad, so I stole a couple 5/8 heims from the Camaro and dialed it in a lot better. I also adjusted my pinion angle (cause I had forgotten) and made a tweak to the driver rear lower control arm length. Should be a marked improvement on the next test drive.




 

Registered
Joined
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
Coilovers for the front in the works! No pillowball mounts and nasty NVH though...I'm using a DIY non-adjustable strut mount with 2 more degrees caster built in. And it has rubber isolators for the spring and the strut stem. My mock up shows it working beautifully. The picture on the ground is in the center of the adjustment, so I can go up or down about 2 inch from there. More info to come once I finish it up and make a video.
You can also see another change if you look close, but I'm not gonna spill the beans on that just yet.


 

Registered
Joined
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
Got the coilovers done and the video up.

Alex cut some plates on his plasma table from a PDF I designed in Adobe Illustrator (poor man's CAD). haha. I moved the pivot back for more caster and isolated with rubber so the NVH should be fine. Using 200lb springs instead of the factory 145lb, and I had to cut the perch off completely. I also cut the steering arm down so I can use it as a mount to make the 33mm Blazer swaybar direct acting.








Now the front looks so good I'm hacking up the rear unibody frame to get the ass down to match. On the next episode of...Gearhead dezign. haha
 

Registered
Joined
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
Guess I forgot to post my "rear subframe" video. Worked out pretty nice as some new rear structure to be able to clearance the unibody for lower ride height and move the coilover mounts up to keep my full shock travel. It's also going to be a nice solid mount for the fuel tank but that will be in another epsiode...





Even bought a new tool...that I should have bought years ago! Love it already
 

Registered
Joined
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
Rear suspension completely finished! Had my buddy laser some brackets to relocate the lower control arms and panhard bar at the lower ride height. Converted LCAs to rod ends on one side and welded more bracing on the torque arm. Also bent some 3/4" plates to strengthen the driveshaft tunnel structure, and welded in my rear firewall for the gas tank which is next on the list. Road legal is getting closer and closer.






 
41 - 53 of 53 Posts
Top