1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1996 Chevy Silverado.350.4x4.
It has a computer.
Now,
I wanna mess with my exhaust. Straight pipe. It's true dual.
I mentioned the job to him,he said that if I cut the cats off the o2 sensors will go nuts. Then my engine will start going to hell. Truth? And if so,is there a way to avoid this so I can enjoy some noise? Or go around it? Disable without destroying?

·
Registered
345 Posts
The engine shouldn't be affected by removing the cats. On my 91 Mustang 5.0 (also has a computer) I ran no cats and never had any issues. Worst comes to worse you can get high flow cats. The difference in sound and power is minimal compared to no cats at all, and you won't ever have any issues with inspections or emissions testing if you have those in your state. I know where I'm from in Massachusetts they do a visual check for cats and if you don't have any, it's an automatic emissions failure.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What was bought up about the cats being removes were my o2 sensors. He said the engine would eventually stall out,maybe flood,hit or miss. I guess the computer would keep trying to manage whatever would be going on with the flow. So in the end "it would strain itself".

·
Registered
67 Posts
Unless you're truck has 02 sensors down stream of the cats, you should be fine. I know my 95 jeep wrangler only has one 02 sensor upstream of the cat. I run just a straight pipe on it because it's a trail only rig and there are no problems. Of course if you have any sort of emissions testing or inspection then you will have some legal problems.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
252 Posts
Downstream sensor tell the ECM if the cats are working or not.

Upstream sensors manage your AFR's, trying to keep the AFR @ 14.7:1 for maximum economy.

Now,

Get under your truck and see if you have 2 or 4 sensors and see where they are and report back! :p

·
Registered
100 Posts
It's probably been 10 years since I removed the cat on one of my vehicles so I don't know if this is still a current option, but at that time I ran an O2 simulator in place of the downstream sensor to fend off SES lights and to pass emissions.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
madmann26 said:
Downstream sensor tell the ECM if the cats are working or not.

Upstream sensors manage your AFR's, trying to keep the AFR @ 14.7:1 for maximum economy.

Now,

Get under your truck and see if you have 2 or 4 sensors and see where they are and report back! :p
One of my o2 sensors is downstream from a cat. Is there a way to be sneaky?

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
Toss a couple high flow cats on there and run straight pipes from there

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.