Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

· Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought my 2010 Sierra last December. On Saturday I replaced my 4th headlight. I've been running the Sylvania Silverstar Ultras. It's happening on both sides within in a few days of each other. This week the other side will blow, so I've ruled out the connector or wiring having a surge or short. Anyone else going through headlights this fast? Do I need to switch brands? Model of lamp?

Thanks for your help.

· Member Extraordinaire, How-To Author, TOTM
23,197 Posts
It's that bulb. They last less than a year. It was almost a yearly ritual for me to replace them. But there isn't a halogen bulb that performs as well. So ether downgrade or upgrade to led/hid

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
2017 Silverado LTZ Z71
5,360 Posts
Ultras have terrible life span in these trucks. Mostly to do with the voltage flux between the DRL and regular headlight function.
You'd be better off buying a good quality HID kit if you want to have good light output.

· Registered
88 Posts
I had the same problem with my 09 sierra, i had some leds a year or so ago what only lasted 8 months and i got silverstar xfe (or whatever they are) and they lasted about a year. I just ordered some of these on black friday https://www.auxbeam.com/88623533 they look better then the ones i had and you cant beat the price.

2009sierraZ71

· Registered
454 Posts
My '04 did the same thing with Silverstars, I'd only get about 8 months out of them. After the second set burned out I switched to HID's with a relay harness and never looked back. They are just junk bulbs. I'm happy my new truck has LED lights in it.

· Servicemen, TOTM
2015 Sierra SLE 5.3 4x4
7,671 Posts
Try replacing them with HIR bulbs for the high beams anyways. You can fit an HIR2 bulb in a 9005 housing easily with a little modification. The low beam H11 I'm not sure.

· Super Moderator, How-To Author, TOTM
5,240 Posts
Diode Dynamics does a good job too. Love mine. Been on for a year so far. They double as DRL's. Whatever you end up getting, get heavy duty relay harness that they provide. If they don't then your shopping in the wrong store and go elsewhere.

· Registered
1,297 Posts
First set of silverstar ultras lasted me tops 3-5 months. Second set I turn off DRL whenever possible..Been a year no issues. Thing is the sylvania xtravision is about nearly as bright and doesnt croak like those silverstars do. But the reality is its the DRL doing it, replaced plenty of regular old bulbs in work trucks over the years.

· Registered
827 Posts
If you want to stay halogen: For low beams get H9 Osram Nightbreakers (they are direct fit in H11 housings and have 50% more output at 65w, H11's run at 55w). For high beams get HIR bulbs and trim the base.

For LED's, there are a lot of top tier brands out their now, Morimoto, Opt7, Xenon Depot, a new vendor called HIDExtra could be tried as well.

HID's don't work in NNBS housings, period. I've seen some K2XX's that have worked (like ferraiolo), but that's not a viable option in your truck without a proper retrofit.

Go to Candlepower forums/store and do some research, you will find a lot of great information there. Halogen bulbs can be a great lighting system if you have the right setup.

· Registered
653 Posts
cintocrunch said:
HID's don't work in NNBS housings, period. I've seen some K2XX's that have worked (like ferraiolo), but that's not a viable option in your truck without a proper retrofit.

Go to Candlepower forums/store and do some research, you will find a lot of great information there. Halogen bulbs can be a great lighting system if you have the right setup.
I have to respectfully disagree with you. I have a set of Morimoto 4300K 35W HIDs (H11 version) which I purchased as a full kit from The Retrofit Source, Inc., and they work VERY well. Could the light be focused better? Absolutely. Could the cutoff be better? Sure. However, if the headlights are aimed properly, the factory housing does a good enough job at getting the light to where it needs to go.

OP, I had the same exact problem... even made my own thread Burning H11 Silverstar Ultra's Fast in Left Light Only I replaced a bunch of silverstar ultras, phillips brand bulbs, etc. and finally got sick of it all and spent the $200 for this kit and would never go back. I haven't touched them since and the lights are obviously much brighter.

-DS

· Registered
827 Posts
dsciulli19 said:
cintocrunch said:

I have to respectfully disagree with you. I have a set of Morimoto 4300K 35W HIDs (H11 version) which I purchased as a full kit from The Retrofit Source, Inc., and they work VERY well. Could the light be focused better? Absolutely. Could the cutoff be better? Sure. However, if the headlights are aimed properly, the factory housing does a good enough job at getting the light to where it needs to go.

OP, I had the same exact problem... even made my own thread Burning H11 Silverstar Ultra's Fast in Left Light Only I replaced a bunch of silverstar ultras, phillips brand bulbs, etc. and finally got sick of it all and spent the $200 for this kit and would never go back. I haven't touched them since and the lights are obviously much brighter.

-DS
Let's see some cutoff pics... I've been wrong before but most I've seen on this forum we're not good. Morimoto makes top notch lighting equipment, I've done a few retrofits using the Mini H1 kit.

· Registered
2017 Silverado LTZ Z71
5,360 Posts
For what its worth, cutoff for OPT7 fluxbeam LEDs headlights, stock housing.

These are $99 on ebay/amazon and dont require special wiring on an NNBS truck

· Super Moderator, Servicemen, SS Guru
10,657 Posts
There's no cutoff there, and those hotspots are what blinds people...

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.