Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Sierra 1500 SLE Z71 L33
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an L33 engine. Vortec 5300. Gasoline. 87. But recently when I've been idling there in traffic or backing into my driveway, (especially) there is such a foul diesel engine smell. Reminds me of the school buses pulling off. I do have a P0430 (catalyst efficiency low, which side? idk I forgot). I have replaced my knock sensors twice now, most recent time last year, which means that yes the intake gaskets have been moved around a bit, but I don't believe there's an issue (yet). I will be probably removing them again soon to replace them, but this smell is brand new, so I ask what I couldn't really find anywhere, what causes that diesel smells from a gasoline engine?

·
Registered
76 Posts
It's probably because of the cat converter worn out not doing its job or perhaps it causing the smell itself from being burnt up.
That being said, I also have found personally on my truck that certain engine oils I use really produce different scents inside the cab of my truck. Especially often diesel engine oils have a unique scent to them. So something as basic as that could be a factor here. But honestly I'm leaning towards the catalyst efficiency codes you are pulling on the truck.

·
Registered
2005 Sierra 1500 SLE Z71 L33
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's probably because of the cat converter worn out not doing its job or perhaps it causing the smell itself from being burnt up.
That being said, I also have found personally on my truck that certain engine oils I use really produce different scents inside the cab of my truck. Especially often diesel engine oils have a unique scent to them. So something as basic as that could be a factor here. But honestly I'm leaning towards the catalyst efficiency codes you are pulling on the truck.
Have you ever had to replace one? If so, did you weld in or replace the whole assembly?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts