Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1821 - 1840 of 1880 Posts

·
Premium Member
2010 GMC All Terrain 4x4 5.3 210,000 mi
18,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,821 · (Edited)
Finally got around to putting some rear marker lights on the cap. This one did not come with a third brake light, and initially I planned on installing marker lights and a separate third brake light pictured. I had picked up a multi pack of them when I did the front amber marker lights.
Hand Finger Nipper Metalworking hand tool Thumb

In the end, I decided it would look to busy to have the bar light and the marker lights, so even though I had the 3/4" red LED's already, they were only on and off. I ordered a set that has a low and high output so that I could use them as both marker lights and CHMSL brake lights. These were a little pricey, and I probably could have tracked down a smaller set for less...https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07Q3TS3NL/

All 5 light up as marker lights and then when you hit the brake, the center three get brighter. I ended up finding that the orange wire in the aftermarket brake controller wires under the dash acted like a third brake signal. I couldn't find where the actual third brake lights were at under the dash. So this was easy access and I ran it out through the grommet under the drivers side footwell and along the frame rail to the lights. Initially I had wired the rear markers to the left tail light running lights, but I changed that later to be on the same circuit as my front marker lights which has a dash switch to turn on and off (it is switched power and only on when ignition is on).
Automotive parking light Automotive tail & brake light Automotive side marker light Vehicle Car
Tire Vehicle Automotive tail & brake light Car Wheel

Here is the wire loom all buttoned up across the top of the cap in back.
Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Bumper

Everything worked ok, but the difference from marker to brake light intensity was not quite enough, especially during the day. I ended up adding two more lights between the original three. The two new ones are not on when marker lights are on, but come on when the brake is pressed. I used a stepper bit to drill out the holes. This particular one was 3/4" at the largest, which is exactly what the hole needed to be for these lights, so you just drill it straight through.
Hand Finger Wood Guitar accessory Automotive tire

Automotive tail & brake light Car Vehicle Plant Automotive lighting

Re-wiring to add the two middle lights.
Asphalt Plant Terrestrial plant Grass Wood

Plant Bumper Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Asphalt

Daytime video: (my youngest at the help giving me a hand for the video)

Nighttime video:

At the same time, I installed some LED strips on the top for lighting. I wanted these to be able to turn on anytime, and had to connect the 12v constant power at the under hood fuse box and install a 40A j-case fuse. Then tapped into that wire just behind the spare tire. The interior cap LED strips turned out fantastic. Excellent light when needed. This is the kit I bought and was pretty low cost. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07D118ZZL/

Here is a video with my youngest assistant helping me by pressing the brakes.

·
Premium Member
18,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,823 ·
Continuing to update work completed.

I just posted about the fix I did on the Amp power steps here: Repairing Amp Research power steps that clunk when deployed

Having hit the 200k mark it has not been 100k+ since the last time I did plugs and wires, so got them purchased and installed last month. I used the same 9748UU ACDelco Pro wires I used last time https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FG2N0AY/ . Old ones looked fine, but this is cheap insurance. The plugs I went with the 41-110 OEM ACDelco as well https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002I0GYZU/ . The new ones which I believe are just a different manufacturer were a bit more cost.
Gas Font Electric blue Shipping box Wood

Automotive parking light Automotive side marker light Vehicle Vehicle registration plate Car

Most of them all looked like these. Pretty normal. Just some electrode erosion.
Blue Household hardware Auto part Nickel Gas

Both sides done.
Automotive fuel system Automotive tire Vehicle Hood Tire

The old stuff out. # 8 was fighting me and I ended up pulling the wire out, and then when I was trying to get the spark plug out, noticed the end terminal was still on it. I did them all from above and did not bother to pull the fender liner to get at it from the side. Was no problem getting the plug out, just not a good angle to pull the spark plug wire.
Pliers Wire stripper Tool Electrical wiring Wood

Household hardware Spark plug Wood Auto part Technology

A video of the engine running after swapping the plugs and wires. It had a little rpm bobble to it (that seemed a little more than the usual) which now seemed better.

Some time later, I decided to try out using ceramic coating to detail the black trim. I have used a number of products over the years and they all mostly look good when first done. It's more a question of how long they last until needing to be re-done. My hope is that this will last a lot longer than the others have.

Started with the rear bumper.
Automotive parking light Vehicle registration plate Car Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle

Then the front
Automotive parking light Grille Hood Vehicle Automotive lighting

And mirrors
Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive side-view mirror Automotive design Automotive mirror

Automotive side-view mirror Hood Automotive lighting Automotive tire Automotive mirror

Time will tell how it hold up, but looks great right now. I did not do the cowl since it is damaged and I need to replace it.

·
Premium Member
18,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,825 ·
No, it was this Autokcan stuff from Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07QD58TRQ/

The Cerakote is good stuff from what I have seen. I had this which I had purchased a while back and had not yet gotten either vehicle ready to put it on, so decided to use it for the trim. It went through the little 30 ml bottle fast. I had two and used 1 and a third on my truck and the wifes car (which we traded a few weeks later :mad::rolleyes:)

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
41-110 plugs have been heavily counterfeited by the Chicoms. They can even be found on Amazon and of course we warn against their use unless one knows the seller well.

The current number is 41-162. GM says the plugs are gapped and they are, I always find one or two a little off and still adjust them, carefully.

Like most, I always put anti-seize on the threads. GM says the silver coating is a form of anti-seize that is designed to break away if there is corrosion. Anti-seize skews torque readings, something I never considered as I've never torqued a spark plug!

Recently came across your build thread and enjoyed the read.

·
Premium Member
18,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,831 ·
A small update today. I recently purchased some new white LED's for our new to us 2020 Nissan Armada and did most of the basic lights on it. I got a pack of 194 bulbs and had some left over so decided to swap out the old LED's I had installed in my license plate light housings. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07G312DR2/

The ones that were in there were fine, nice and white but just to test I swapped in one of the new Sealight ones and it seemed a bit brighter. The old ones have a frosted dome so maybe that was the difference.
Font Engineering Space Machine Fictional character

The one big thing I did notice (not that big a thing really) was that the lens on the housing itself was looking a bit yellowed. Nobody would notice this, but me...and it's my truck and this is exactly the little things I like to do to keep it looking nice.

Here is what was on there and compared to the new ones I bought.
Natural material Font Gas Automotive lighting Metal

Before changing it out
Grille Automotive lighting Vehicle Bumper Automotive fog light

After - new housing and bulb
Automotive lighting Grille Hood Automotive tire Synthetic rubber

Automotive parking light Hood Automotive lighting Grille Headlamp

I ended up buying some Dorman ones I found on Amazon. There were lots of chinese imported ones that looked different, smooth vs the textured finish and the lens was full clear vs the OEM looking lines in there. And OEM were something silly cost, so these fit the budget well. Just over $6 each. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B006G2MJZU
Electric blue Plastic Transparency Font Rectangle

A couple more comparison shots of the old OEM and the new Dorman
Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive exterior

This was another small fix up. The replacement blue All Terrain fender emblems I had installed a couple years ago were looking pretty faded. So I picked up some new ones and swapped them out.
Automotive lighting Hood Grille Motor vehicle Automotive design

Car Land vehicle Vehicle Wheel Automotive lighting

·
Premium Member
18,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,833 ·
Those look nice, but I prefer a more stock look. And the texture vs smooth black finish is not what I would want either.

You can size those pictures down some when you post to prevent it from taking up so much screen. I try to reduce mine down when posting so it is easier to follow and read.

·
Premium Member
18,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,834 ·
I had the same right rear window switch stop working on me again. Not sure why that one has failed twice now and none of the others have acted up. It's a simple fix so I popped out the switch with a plastic tool.
Hood Wood Amber Automotive exterior Bumper

Car Automotive design Personal luxury car Fixture Auto part

Gadget Flooring Bumper Font Rectangle

Popped the switch out of the trim by carefully prying out the plastic over the clips.
Tank Self-propelled artillery Technology Combat vehicle Font

Pried the switch apart.
Motor vehicle Auto part Engineering Metal Fashion accessory

These contacts are what gets dirty and the corresponding contacts on the silicone part.
Passive circuit component Circuit component Green Hardware programmer Finger

Gas Auto part Machine Automotive tire Metal

I used an eraser to clean them off.
Photograph Textile Rectangle Material property Font

Sanded on the pins for the connector to clean them up as well.
Finger Material property Electronic component Thumb Household hardware

And back working. Now I need to get my windows re-tinted. The crummy place I took it to did a poor job and used poor material. Lots of it is wavy and looking bad. One of my kiddos pealed a section on this back window. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
I get those switches from a guy on ebay, they are OE in white boxes, from the factory that GM uses in Mexico. Switch-Doctor. They used to be $7 each but with Bidenflation, they are $12 nowadays.

Get ceramic tint. I asked for max allowed by law but don't think I got it! Sure beats the factory 70-25-22 though!

Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle

·
Premium Member
18,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,836 ·
That looks like mine on the front windows. 25% is the max here in TX. The back can be anything. Ceramic may be out of my price comfort range. I will get hit with a few for removal of the old stuff so doing to hurt already. I should have walked away from that shop that did it.

·
Registered
2009 5.3l 6l80
5,866 Posts
5% all over!

Just take the old off before going in to save that fee, I think it was $25 or $50 for the place I go to

1821 - 1840 of 1880 Posts