Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 20 of 149 Posts

·
Premium Member
2010 GMC SIerra All Terrain C.C. 4x4 5.3
15,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok...that was my teaser title to get your attention...haha...

I have been wanting to upgrade my shocks for a while now. About 3 years ago, shortly after purchasing the truck...I purchased some OEM Rancho shocks and installed them. I was happy with the improvement from the worn ones that were on there, but after hearing much about the Bilstein 5100's I wanted to give them a try. Got a full set for front and rear for a decent price and worked on installing the fronts yesterday.

Along with this, I had purchased a set of struts off of a member and was going to use the newer parts to refresh my struts a bit.

I will give a before and after then go into some more detail.

Before:

After:

I like how these turned out. Painting the spring was just sort of a fun twist I thought I would add to dress them up a little.

The take off shocks I had gotten came off a 2015 silverado. I was unsure of what difference the may have from the nnbs truck shocks since they had different numbers. Here is a shot side by side and you can immediately see some differences:

The location of the lower spring mount on the body is a different height on the new shocks. The shaft is a bit longer and has a longer threaded section.

Secondly there are big differences in the upper mount:

Additionally the upper shock bump stop was longer on the newer one. I tried to use it but could not get the shaft to push up through to get the upper bolt on...so took it back apart and reused my old ones.

The newer style on the left have a much taller central mount location making the shorter thread a concern using with an older style shock. After discovering this, I ended up reusing my old ones...but the spring seat and boot along with the plastic upper spring seat were the same and reused.

After I got the old shock off one side, I used the weight of the truck to dis-assemble the strut assemblies I had bought.

Then I got after prepping and painting the springs.

First I sanding them down good then wiped them down with alcohol.

Sprayed them with some self etching primer

Then started applying the GM DE 1608 high temp ceramic blue I had:

Got the ring height settings moved and transferred over the lower spring mounts. Here is where I maybe added some height from the set up I had before. The lower mounts from the previous picture lift the bottom of the spring some from the older location.

About ready to install

Pics of final result:

Hopefully get to the rears today. Ran over my time I had and went to the NHRA drag races with my son yesterday evening.

·
Premium Member
15,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I bought for my year. Ended up with some additional height due to lower spring mount difference and possibly the upper rubber seat/boot thickness. My old ones were thinner I think...but completely shot.

The springs themselves seemed to be identical for the most part...height wise.

I may go back and drop the 5100's down a notch or two. I need to take some measurements again. I did it fast last night scrambling to put things away and get cleaned up to go to the drag race. Front was up but I dont recall the exact measurements. And I still have some side to side differences. I am thinking that the rear could be throwing off the front if they are uneven? I plan to test that and jack up and level the rear and see where the front sits after that...

·
Registered
22,404 Posts
You would need to drive it for a few miles and let everything setting before determining that. My front settled about 1in after driving it.

Rear shocks at least will only take about 30min

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
15,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well drove it about 110 miles or so last night to Baytown for the race...so I will re-check this am sometime.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Freaking imgur images never show up on the work computer.

Those look good Neal! I have to stop look at your build thread and other individual mod threads. Always giving me more reasons to spend money that I don't have :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Administrator
2009 Chevy Z71; sounds fast.
6,960 Posts
It's still a strut as opposed to a coilover. The spring may look different but it's the same circumference of steel...but whatever helps you sleep at night.

Yeah, it looks nice...but no matter how you slice it, all you did was paint a new, same spring rate spring.

Just my $0.02

·
Premium Member
15,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
They are still coilovers. Maybe not the high end, longer travel, advanced spring rate ones but they are coilovers. And I never claimed anything other than painting my springs. Just sharing for those interested in seeing them.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Looks good Neal. Another fine mod executed on your Pro Grade. I like the color too. Really is nice to have those little touches people only see when looking close. Can't wait to do more custom painting on mine. Hopefully this summer I get to rip into it again.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Onlyina_Chevy said:
A coil over a spring is a strut. "Coilovers" are height adjustable.

But you and I have had this discussion before. Call it what you want.
He did post this at the very beginning of his thread.

nealinator said:
Ok...that was my teaser title to get your attention...haha...
This is also the secondary info he posted for the thread

nealinator said:
My adventures in making my new Bilstein 5100's my own
So the whole argument of coilovers vs. struts (when he made it blatantly obvious that he didn't actually buy a brand new set of coilovers) is kind of silly.

Either way, they look good and give his FRONT END SUSPENSION COMPONENTS (negating coilovers vs. struts) a new look.

1 - 20 of 149 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.