Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Premium Member
2010 GMC SIerra All Terrain C.C. 4x4 5.3
15,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok...the day has finally come. I got my catch can installed and now just to wait to see what collects.

First of all...an acknowledgement to George (BigBlueLB756) for all his input and help and his running thread: Cheap Catch Can Option

I had thought it possible to use an air/water separator to achieve a functional catch can and then after researching what all is entailed...I came across Georges thread who had already blazed the trail!

I will start off with the installed pic and a video of it running...then follow with details on what all is needed and how I went about it if anyone is interested.

The only downside I discovered...is that the valve on the bottom of the air/water separator does not hold under vacuum. It is designed to be under pressure. So no matter what position the valve is it...it is always sucking air. I put a rubber plug on the bottom for now. This may be ok...but not ideal for long term.

I initially purchased a 1/2" air/water separator from Harbor Freight...but ended up not being able to find a suitable threaded ball valve to fit the end of it. What came on that required pressure to seal it so it was open with the engine under vacuum.

While browsing WalMart one day I came across this: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Amflo-3-8-Ai ... 10&veh=aff which at the time was $19 but now is on sale for $7.11!

I picked one up and started collecting the other needed materials. A couple of 3/8" brass 90° fittings https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003C ... UTF8&psc=1 and some 3/8" fuel hose. I bought 10' not knowing at the time where I would install the can so wanted extra. In my final install I ended up using a 17" piece and a 17.5" piece. Total of 34.5" so just an inch and a half shy of 3'.

I already had a collection of hose clamps and scrounged around my shop for some scrap metal for a bracket. Plus misc hardware which I have plenty of also.

What I found for the bracket was an piece from a garage door opener. Was pretty thick...like about 3/16". I cut it down after doing some measuring and placement checking.

One of the holes was a good diameter, but needed to drill smaller ones for the attachment points. I used my belt sander to round off the ends.

Drilled the new holes:

Then formed it in the vice:

Here was a test fit before painting:

The angle was a bit more than 90° to account for the slant of the alternator bracket surface:

Removed and primed it:

Then a final coat of some black semi gloss:

So here are all the components (except needed 4 hose clamps not just 2)

These are M6x1.0 thread bolts...approx 1" long and used a washer and lock washer on both.

Drilled the top of the air/water separator and put a bolt and nut on it. Used a bit of black RTV to seal. If I did this again...would have followed George's method of drilling smaller and tapping it with the bolt thread.

Elbow's attached and sealed with teflon tape:

For the splicing into the vapor line...I ended up cutting in two places as shown and connecting my 3/8" fuel line to them:

Ran the two pieces of 3/8" fuel hose and tie wrapped them to go through the cover opening:

And tied into the catch can:

Was my first chance to use my new flush cut nippers to cut the ends off the cable ties. Worked perfect. No sharp edges at all.

Final product:

And here is the rubber plug in put on the end of the plastic valve on the air/water separator to keep from leaking vacuum.

Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18 Show Content

Here is a good document shared with me by George from Elite showing the hose you cut and additional info: http://www.eliteengineeringusa.com/cont ... _Truck.pdf

Total cost is a bit more since I bought a few things I did not end up using...and some spare hose I also did not need. But was under $25 with the super cheap catch can air/water separator and the two brass 3/8" fittings and fuel line. My extras and having paid more for the catch can ran me just under $64 total. Still not bad.

·
Premium Member
15,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I might add that I am currently using the brass insert that comes with it to separate the oil and water from the air. If I find it to clog up or cause issues...then will go to the filter material as done by George and others.

·
Premium Member
6,959 Posts
Brilliant job, Neal. Let us know how it works long-term.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Had to view this thread on tapatalk because our work computers won't allow Imgur hosted pictures.

Very nice job Neal! Nice clean install and I also like the alternator location for a mount.

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
Good job, Neal! Finally... :mrgreen:

I was also thinking about using the alternator bracket fpr my ADD W1 can, but couldn't find a spot I was happy, so I just mounted it on the fender in front of the fuse box. Will check it again at some point if I can figure out a good spot and redo it. Got plenty of flat aluminum stock left.

·
Premium Member
15,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah...no kidding Tomi! Life is sure slower paced with regards to truck tinkering with two little girls around...that's for sure!

One of the reasons I wanted the can were it is and it's current height...was to be able to get a cup under it and drain off the sludge without having to unscrew the body and remove it. I would not have had much room under there if over by the battery tray...and over near the brake booster was a bit of a reach.

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
nealinator said:
Yeah...no kidding Tomi! Life is sure slower paced with regards to truck tinkering with two little girls around...that's for sure!
LOL! Yeah, I remember those days from quite a few years ago. They still feel ike yesterday, though, even though the older one is already getting married in September. :eek:

nealinator said:
One of the reasons I wanted the can were it is and it's current height...was to be able to get a cup under it and drain off the sludge without having to unscrew the body and remove it. I would not have had much room under there if over by the battery tray...and over near the brake booster was a bit of a reach.
Yup, yours is a bunch taller than the ADD can is, so that spot is pretty much perfect for it.

I just don't really like the hoses going from the intake all the way to the fender (makes it look kinda crowded) and therefore I'd like to get it closer to the engine at some point. We'll see...

·
Registered
16,581 Posts
Neal, looks great. I like the place you mounted it. I may look to move mine at some point. Only negative of your mounting point is how hard it will be to reach. If all you have to do is open a valve, it won't be a big deal, but with my ADD W1, I have to unscrew to collection cup.
I will be looking forward to seeing the results. Being is S. Texas, I doubt you will be getting a lot of water condensation, especially at this time of year.
Great job.

·
Premium Member
15,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yes...it has the standard brass screen that comes in them. I will be watching this to make sure it does not seem to get plugged up. How these work is that the inlet air comes into the head piece and goes straight into the bowl. To exit the air/water separator, it must pass through the element to get to the exit port.

·
Premium Member
3,064 Posts
Studying the construction design, it would work as well hooking it up "backwards" with the PCV vapor coming into the filter cavity under the cap and passing through the bronze element and then out of the can. I can see where that might clog up the process if the element got clogged.

So, airflow as directed if using the bronze element or it doesn't matter if using the a/c filter material.

Thoughts?

·
Premium Member
15,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I would agree that trying to run the flow backwards with the bronze filter element will probably not work well due to the small size of the openings. Time will tell if just by shaking around or the oil in the vapor end up filling the pores of the element and causing an issue.

I would think that flowing reverse with the air filter element may indeed still function as you mention....but that forces all the oil to contact the element vs allowing some to come out of the vapor and settle in the can prior to the filter.

Do you think with the air filter material you are using, that some of the oil is able to get by? Seems like you are catching plenty from the thread readings I saw so maybe even if some gets by you are catching most of it.

·
Premium Member
3,064 Posts
My hope is that the fibers of the material attract the oil particles and cause them to cling together and eventually drip off into the chamber. More fiber; more opportunity. But only the oil vapor knows what truly happens in the process.

As long as it works.

1 - 20 of 82 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.