Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I did a post last year on this but didn’t have the money.. Now I do and ready for new tires. Need everyone’s help choosing…

Have a 2012 GMC Sierra Z71

My options I’m looking at are..

1) BFG All-Terrain KO 2
2) Cooper Discoverer AT3 4S
3) Toyo Open Country A/T 3
4) Falken Wildpeak A/T 3
5) Bridgestone Dueler Revo 3

Let me know what you guys think and which one to go with.

I live in northern IL, so we get rain, sleet, ice, snow…. Plus some gravel roads. Also do highway.

Thanks in advance everyone!!!!!

· Supr Moderator AutoTech SS-Guru Mbr Extraordinaire
2015 High Country Duramax
19,428 Posts
Toyos all day long. I'm on my 5th set and have always been pleased with them. Tried others and have always been rather dissatisfied.

The BFGs are good in the snow but that's it. They sucked on dry pavement and were louder than the toyos.

I also had a set of Cooper at3s and those were by far the worst. I'd have been better off running drag slicks in the snow.

· Registered
2023 Silverado ZR2
124 Posts
The BFG's or Toyo's are your two best bets.

Reactions: cmelby76

· Registered
29 Posts
Hey all,

I did a post last year on this but didn’t have the money.. Now I do and ready for new tires. Need everyone’s help choosing…

Have a 2012 GMC Sierra Z71

My options I’m looking at are..

1) BFG All-Terrain KO 2
2) Cooper Discoverer AT3 4S
3) Toyo Open Country A/T 3
4) Falken Wildpeak A/T 3
5) Bridgestone Dueler Revo 3

Let me know what you guys think and which one to go with.

I live in northern IL, so we get rain, sleet, ice, snow…. Plus some gravel roads. Also do highway.

Thanks in advance everyone!!!!!
Had BFGs in Northern IL at the time were great would buy again

· US Navy Vet, TOTM, Law Enf ret.
2015 Sierra SLE 5.3 4x4
6,602 Posts
I've got the BFG KO2s. Don't do much off road driving but they work great on dry/wet roads.

Reactions: Desert Dog

· Registered
1,442 Posts
another vote for ko2s (if choosing from your list). that being said, check out the Mickey Thompson Baja Boss AT. it is 3 Peak Snow rated, 50 or 60k mile rating, and seem to be an impressive tire. visually, they look much better in person than online. a co-worker has them and i think they look as good or better than my ko2s. they will be my next set

· How-To Author
2009 5.3l 6l80
5,235 Posts
I had a set of the cooper discovers on first and got 58,xxx miles out of them. no complaints on traction or handling only driven in snow once and it was ok 4" or so.
Then a set of falken wildpeaks and got 82,xxx miles out of them. these were good until they got closer to end of life they starting having traction issues when wet, could be the lower rear gears and heavy foot though. (last 5k miles or so I noticed it) They also did fine in snow/ice the past two ice snow season we saw in arkansas. Really wish yall would keep that up there though.
I imagine the toyos will be close to the falkens mileage wise, just based on my FIL getting 60k on a set on his 3/4 ton.

Just put on some nitto ridge grapplers to try out. So far pleased with wet and dry traction, I do feel they might be a touch louder that the falkens were when new but that was so long ago that I may be wrong.

· Servicemen
983 Posts
I have the Toyo's on my 2500 d-max, they have 47k on them now, they have been a great tire. I will either get these or the wild peaks. but leaning to these, as the milage, looks, performance have been spectacular.

· Registered
2023 Silverado ZR2
124 Posts
I have the Toyo's on my 2500 d-max, they have 47k on them now, they have been a great tire. I will either get these or the wild peaks. but leaning to these, as the milage, looks, performance have been spectacular.
Toyos are a top-tier tire. Falkens are mid-tier. You really can’t compare the Toyo to the Wild Peaks. Toyo hands down!

· Servicemen
983 Posts
I agree. they are a great tire.

Reactions: securityguy1

· TOTM
2010 Silverado LS
170 Posts
I should add...it took 2.5 level front spacers and new rear blocks in rear from Moto Fab to make it fit...new KYB front struts and rear monroe coil shocks...wheels and tires and more changed...I had a vision of what I wanted... it all worked...suspension is a balancing act to eliminate that "Chevy Rake" and maintain a safe ride quality...took research to get it right...from this OEM truck...day I bought this low mileage 2010 from an elderly couple trade in...used as a
Country Cadillac...A blank canvas...300 watts of solar on top now tied to a Bluetti. An outlander RV build... <smile>

smile.
Wheel Automotive parking light Tire Automotive side marker light Land vehicle

· Registered
328 Posts
I personally think the best tire I've ever had was a set of Safari TSR's on my 01 Silverado. I had a set of Mastercraft CXT's on my 08 Sierra and loved them.... They had great all weather traction, got me down into the creeks to fish, shed Buffalo snow like nothing, had a smooth qiuet ride and worked great at the boat ramp too.

· Registered
'06 LBZ 4wd Crew HD GMT800 Longbed
74 Posts
I've had good experience with BFG AT KO's on previous pickups, they have long life and wear relative flat (y) in fact installed them yesterday on my 3500 4wd, albeit 10-ply. I live in the boonies off rocky-dirt and gravel roads, sometimes slick mud after heavy rains. Also run them on my Wrangler Rubicon.

· Registered
2023 Silverado ZR2
124 Posts
The reviews on the Mickey Thompson Baja Boss AT look good. What do you guys think of these?
I know several people I know that have them and they are very pleased. I would consider the Mickey's, KO2's and Toyo AT3's when I decide to replace my tires.

· Registered
2023 Silverado ZR2
124 Posts
1 - 20 of 30 Posts