Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased my 2010 silverado cc about a year ago. I did not realize it right away but the window switch to my front passenger window had trouble going down. Now the switch on the actual front passenger door works fine up and down. The one i have to control it from the driver side will not go down but will go up fine. In the very beginning it would go down sometime after a few presses, but now it doesnt at all.

Has anyone had this problem and if so any feedback is appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I made the mistake of not going when i was under warranty, but now the trucks at 42k so im shit out of luck. I asked them about it at my last oil change and the guy straight out told me this will be expensive to do.

I'm going to have to take some time to remove the panel and check the main controls.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Has anyone else had this problem because I haven't gotten any time to do it but I will have a weekend of free time coming up.

Any tips or feedback would help me out to save some time and know what to look for.

Thanks

·
Registered
16,624 Posts
Replacing the switch you shouldn't cost that much. You can get them on eBay. In the process to swap them out is not that hard. I think a lot of times what happens with the switches is when it rains or snows it gets on those switches and that's what shorts them out

Sent from Galaxy S4 via Autoguide.com
2013 Silverado 5.3L LT Ext Z71 4x4

·
Registered
102 Posts
I had the same exact problem, just replace the window switch that you are having issues with. I got a new OEM ac/delco switch for under $40 and it took me less than 10 minutes to swap it out. THe contacts inside the actual switch wear out with time, you have a whole electrical harness going into the bottom of the switch which is pretty well attached. If it was loose the whole switch would not work. If you need some help just let me know.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Knieghtz1 said:
I had the same exact problem, just replace the window switch that you are having issues with. I got a new OEM ac/delco switch for under $40 and it took me less than 10 minutes to swap it out. THe contacts inside the actual switch wear out with time, you have a whole electrical harness going into the bottom of the switch which is pretty well attached. If it was loose the whole switch would not work. If you need some help just let me know.
Thanks I appreciate the info. Is the OEM one on Ebay too or can i get it locally at maybe an auto parts?

·
Registered
102 Posts
You can get it at a parts shop, they might even have it instock since the switch is used in other models besides the Silverado/sierras. It would probably be cheaper on ebay, that is where i got mine. I ordered it from a reputable dealer and i received it 48 hours later.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Mine is the drivers door panel one that controls the front passenger window. The control on the passenger door is fine.

I can't find an individual one for the driver side door controls. I believe it has to be complete, am i right?

·
Registered
102 Posts
Yeah, the switch controls all 4 windows on extra and crew cab, and the two in single cab, plus the window locks. It is one solid module with two or 3 harness inputs in the back.

·
Registered
16,624 Posts
Check Youtube.com. I am sure you will find a video tutorial for removing the switches. I don't think you have to pull the door panels to remove the switches.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Yes you can, just remove the Big door handle first (the one that doesnt actually open up the door) It will just be a cover and two screws. Then just squeez a flat head screw driver in between the arm rest and the switch cover, it meets in the middle. Pry that apart and remove the two harnesses, swap out your part and that will be it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
tekniqz said:
Can i remove the panel to replace the control without having to remove the door panel?

By the way... I was able to find it for $35
Yes. It's pretty easy, look under the pull handle, the insert has a notch in the center of the bottom edge. Gently pop it out with a screwdriver, then lift from bottom to top to pop off the cover.(it has 2 tabs in the center that also lock it in place)
Loosen & remove the 10mm bolts at the top & bottom of the handle and it lifts off.
Gently pry the upper half of the armrest( from the handle notch front, where the switches are) it will split on the lateral seam. It has three tabs with spring clips so it takes a little.
If you don't have trim tools, you might want to get a set from Harbor Freight, priced right for how often you need them. The plastic one have less tendency to mark the interior panels.

·
Registered
318 Posts
I haven't had a chance to look on the Silverados, but I know on my old F150 I had the same issue, and was able to take the switch apart (very carefully) and clean the contacts between the button and the base. Took some time and steady fingers, but it worked well.

Anyone know if you can take the switch apart on a GM model?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I appreciate that Max... Luckily i got a harbor freight not too far from work so i'll make a pit stop one of these days to get a set. I will have to wait until not this weekend but the next to get it all taken care of.

Plus I got some more things in store not this weekend but the following.
- Plasti dippin' the roof black (interested to see how this would look on my truck)
- Replacing my tow mirrors back to stocks since I haven't been towing much after selling my boat and these aftermarket ones seem to shake.
(Got to plasti dip these white to match since i took off all the chrome).
- Airaid MIT install
- Diablo Sport Intune (probably getting this sooner but plan on getting Lew's custom tune)
- Replacing the front speakers with some Alpine SPR-60 component set.
- Replace chrome door handles with black.
- Replace the window control switch.

I should be able to do it all that weekend *fingers crossed*

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
PartsChaser said:
I haven't had a chance to look on the Silverados, but I know on my old F150 I had the same issue, and was able to take the switch apart (very carefully) and clean the contacts between the button and the base. Took some time and steady fingers, but it worked well.

Anyone know if you can take the switch apart on a GM model?
OK maybe I can try that before ordering that part. I should have some time this Wednesday to check that out if not it will wait until the weekend.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.