Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone.. having an issue with the 'ol 2005 Silverado.

For the past week or so, I've noticed that there's noise coming from the front-end of my truck. It seems to be coming from the front drivers side area of the truck, but not sure exactly where. It gets louder as speed increases and will continue until the truck gets down to around 10mph or slower.

About two years ago, I had a wheel bearing on the front drivers side go bad on me and had it replaced. Sure, its not the wheel bearing going bad already... after only two years?? I mean, I only put about 500 miles on the truck per month. Anyhow, that's neither her nor there I guess. I understand that even new replacement parts can go bad much sooner than they're suppose to. Or well, yeah.. you know what I mean.

I've noticed that if I'm at speed and I have to go around a left-hand curve.. I've noticed that if the curve is sharp enough to where I have to turn the steering-wheel to the left, as long as the steering-wheel gets turned to the left far enough, the noise and light vibrations stop. I can feel the vibration in the steering-wheel and in the pedals. However, what's really strange is.. is when I roll down all my windows (its a crew-cab; 2-wheel drive) to try and hear the noise.. I can't hear it, period. From inside the cab.. the noise and vibration almost makes me think that I'm running a mild set of mud tires. It's not a metal to metal sound.. like a wheel-bearing would make if it were going out or was totally shot. I remember the violent and loud sound that the front drivers side wheel bearing made before I had it replaced about 2 or 3 years ago.. and this sound just doesn't quite compare to it.

Now, I did notice something that might be the cause of this sound and vibration. I noticed that when I had my new set of tires installed, I noticed that the retard from C&H Tire Company (located in Ft. Smith, Arkansas) had mounted the new tires backwards. The tires are directional tires, meaning you have to mount them the correct way. It even tells you which way the tread/tire should be facing prior to mounting to the rim, right on the sidewall of each tire!! I mean, really??! I wish I still had the receipt because if their screwup has caused any other damage to any of the other components of the suspension/front-end.. I'd be making them pay for the repairs, but I don't have it. :?

Anyhow, does anyone have any ideas of what could be causing the noise/vibration? Like I said, I really don't think its the wheel-bearing(s). But, could the fact that the directional tires being mounted incorrectly (backwards).. could that be causing the noise/vibration? :evil:

Any and all help is greatly appreciated. :geek:

-God bless.

P.S. - I am taking the truck in today to have the tires put on correctly and rotated. If the vibration/noise continues after that.. I will come back to this thread and report about it.

Thanks
:mrgreen:

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, i got the truck back. Took it in last week finally to have it diagnosed at a local shop that I know does great work (hard to come by now a days..).

Dropped it off Wednesday morning and had it back in my possession by 4pm that same afternoon. Turns out, my suspicions were correct. Sure enough, it was the wheel bearing on the passenger side. Which is strange because I just had that same wheel bearing replaced not 3 years ago. Either the shop that put it in didn't do something right or it was just a bad bearing that had a short life. Either way, its got a new (second replacement) passenger side wheel bearing. Which is strange because I could have SWORN it was coming from the drivers side but on my receipt from the shop, it clearly says 'replaced pssngr frnt wheel bearing'.. which was just under $300 bucks which is $120 cheaper than the first shop charged me for replacing the first one (stock unit).. so I guess I can't complain.

But anyhow, I got the directional tires facing the CORRECT way and a new wheel-bearing and she's quiet like she should be.

Happy holidays everyone
-Mike

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
*P.S. - If I didn't post this thread in the correct sub-forum, I sincerely apologize. I did look for the appropriate sub-forum before posting my thread in this sub-forum and I could not find the appropriate sub-forum for what I wanted to post. Again, sorry about that.

Thanks.
-Mike

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.