Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, I just had a headlight go out, any recommendations for a replacement?

2009 Sierra 2009 WT

Thanks..

· Supr Moderator AutoTech SS-Guru Mbr Extraordinaire
2015 High Country Duramax
19,428 Posts
Silverstars are good, but don't last a long time. I have some piaa xtreme white bulbs in my high beam and they are nice. But they only are there to compliment my projectors which are my main low beams and high beams.

· Registered
880 Posts
Lot of guys on here are using OPT7 but they are not cheap. They do have a 2 year warranty on them tho.

· Member Extraordinaire, Servicemen, How-To Author
16,428 Posts
Personally, I would stay away from the "premium" halogen bulbs. They seem to burn out in under one year quite regularly. Combine the added cost and the pain of having to change them, and it is just better to go with the standard halogen which will last years.
I am not into the HID thing, but I am waiting for a perfected LED solution for the NNBS stock housings. It seems like the OPT7's are about as close as there is. The biggest issue with them is that the beam pattern is raised way up after installation requiring the headlights to be adjusted downwards. The problem with that is then the high beams are pointing downward too far to make them effective. I have not seen if a complete high beam and low beam replacement with OPT7's solves that issue or not.

· Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So if i OPT (pun intended) fro regular bulb replace, and silver stars are not good, what should i go for? I am lazy and dont want to change again in a year. :)
Thanks..

· Servicemen
2,867 Posts

· Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I thought the low and high were same bulb? lol (maybe i am just too old)
Right now during the day, the driver's side headlight is out, I have not tried high beams yet.
Thanks I will check out the links....
have a great day!

· Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So I had another low neam bulb blow, so I decided to replace with LED bulbs. I bought the AUXito from amazon, not sure if i am allowed to post a link to it?

I replaced both in Late Sept 2017, both still working great through the horrible weather in Montreal. here is a pic i took of the difference between LED and OEM. I just ordered the high beam bulbs today, as i start to switch everything to LED

You can see in the first pic the difference.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/lO1yk5tRf75HxfCI3

· Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The bulbs i bought said nothing had to be done, simply replace the ones you have with those ones. They have built in fans that run all the time. As for the beam pattern, i have no real scientific or technical results other than i just know when i drive up to the cabin at night its MUCH better than before.

Is there any tests i can do to help you out to know what the beam pattern might be?

· Registered
239 Posts
I tried putting LEDs in my low beams. I had to adjust them down so low to make them not blinding to oncoming traffic, that the high beams were then useless. Perhaps if I added LED high beams it would have worked out, but I just returned them.

· Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I never thought that they might blind oncoming traffic, as i have not been "high beamed" since i got them, so i figured they are ok.

· Registered
1,588 Posts
robmorin said:
The bulbs i bought said nothing had to be done, simply replace the ones you have with those ones. They have built in fans that run all the time. As for the beam pattern, i have no real scientific or technical results other than i just know when i drive up to the cabin at night its MUCH better than before.

Is there any tests i can do to help you out to know what the beam pattern might be?
That's cool. I was just wondering if you noticed any significant difference in the light pattern. Sounds like it's better than stock so that's good.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.