Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I am on my third Silverado 2500 HD my first being a 2003 I bought new in 2002, My Second a 2011 in 2010 and my most recent a 2016 in August of this year. I loved my 2003 Silverado ,I really liked my 2010 Silverado So far I am not thrilled with my 2016 . But on to my original reason for posting here

Currently I am looking for a tool box step ,that would match my existing running boards (I think I have the 4" chrome or 6" chrome) that would mount just behind the cab on the driver side and passenger side. Does anybody know of such I thing.I found black folds up but I was looking for matching set for both sides

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Tatsngats said:
I can't help you with your question but why aren't you thrilled with your 2016? I've heard good things.
Well its short on power, seats feel smaller and I can't find the perfect position. The truck feels like its "Chugging" when approaching a hill or grade Instead of just pulling the hill it feels like its trying to hold back power,I spoke to the service department and they told me its NORMAL. The navigation system is constantly needing some type of a user intervention to clear a screen.the screen is telling me not to take my eyes off the road but I have to take my eyes off the road to clear the screen.

May bee I am not educated enough yet on how to work the radio, nav, driver information system , but the complete system is not designed with the driver in mind , My old truck I used to be able to keep my driver information system on "miles to empty" and use the steering wheel controls to switch between my radio stations, this truck if I want to see my miles to empty i lose the ability to switch radio stations I can only switch thru my favorites ,

My head lights are dim, My high beams are bright, my fog light are bright but the regular head lamps SUCK! there dim. the interior lighting is also dim in the areas you need and a odd hue of blueish white. the standard mirrors have a smaller surface area , had I realized they with this tiny I would have purchased the over sized towing mirrors, I also feel the turning radius has increased from the 2011 I had ,

· Registered
1,297 Posts
What you cite is precisely why in 15 when I wanted a new truck I sought the 07.5-13 over the the newer trucks. Im not sure why you cant just have a damn basic truck anymore. I also REALLY wanted to like the ecoboost as it was dang powerful (buddy let me drive his) but the Ferd has way to much going on inside and drove me nuts.

Why people need all that junk in a truck IDK. Id like it to optional on some higher end trim level, that way unless you buy the top model you dont have to have it.

· Registered
50 Posts
I got the 2016 2500 HD "Work Truck" and it's bare bones. No carpet, AM/FM radio, No CD, power windows and locks but no keyless entry (and it can't be added). It looks good and runs good and that's all that matters.

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Paramenace said:
I got the 2016 2500 HD "Work Truck" and it's bare bones. No carpet, AM/FM radio, No CD, power windows and locks but no keyless entry (and it can't be added). It looks good and runs good and that's all that matters.
Do you have the chugging sensation when approaching a grade?

· Registered
421 Posts
ih82plow said:
Tatsngats said:
I can't help you with your question but why aren't you thrilled with your 2016? I've heard good things.
Well its short on power, seats feel smaller and I can't find the perfect position. The truck feels like its "Chugging" when approaching a hill or grade Instead of just pulling the hill it feels like its trying to hold back power,I spoke to the service department and they told me its NORMAL. The navigation system is constantly needing some type of a user intervention to clear a screen.the screen is telling me not to take my eyes off the road but I have to take my eyes off the road to clear the screen.

May bee I am not educated enough yet on how to work the radio, nav, driver information system , but the complete system is not designed with the driver in mind , My old truck I used to be able to keep my driver information system on "miles to empty" and use the steering wheel controls to switch between my radio stations, this truck if I want to see my miles to empty i lose the ability to switch radio stations I can only switch thru my favorites ,

My head lights are dim, My high beams are bright, my fog light are bright but the regular head lamps SUCK! there dim. the interior lighting is also dim in the areas you need and a odd hue of blueish white. the standard mirrors have a smaller surface area , had I realized they with this tiny I would have purchased the over sized towing mirrors, I also feel the turning radius has increased from the 2011 I had ,
^^I also agree the low beam projector lights are bad, there are a few topics on here about them but no real word yet on a plug & play in upgrade. My 15 HD gasser runs & pulls great with no issues like you have stated. I'm wondering if the 16's might have a different tune? also it may run better like mine does after you put more miles on it. Have you towed anything heavy with it yet? we pull a heavy arse 32' TT from Mich to Fla & back & it does a great job. BTW the new style factory tow mirrors with led reverse & marker lights are very good.

· Registered
1,407 Posts
I realize you just spent a lot of money but might check with others with same set up and see if a tune (Diablo) would work. I have the 08 2500 it changed a lot of characteristics from factory tune and it is way better especially the lag in shifting no more hunting holds gears longer and much better ride. But like stated do some research I think you would be happy.

· Registered
197 Posts
I have a 2016 GMC hd2500 and it has LEDs behind the projector and they are very good. I have not experienced any chug but it does not fel as strong as i expected. But I only have 500 miles on her so its not really broken in. Looking at a diabalo tune if there is one available. Still getting used to all the gadgetry but I use the speech assist whenever possible. You can choose options on the driver info screen. I think there is a miles to empty but i am still looking for the trans temp.

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Have you towed anything heavy with it yet? we pull a heavy arse 32' TT from Mich to Fla & back & it does a great job.

I had 2000lbs in the bed and 4000lbs on a trailer behind me and it ran great, the trouble is when its unloaded it chugs on slight grades

· Registered
197 Posts
I have noticed that the regular bulb fog lights do not match the LED headlights in output color. What haas anyone come with for a solution?. I know I will have to go with LED probably 5500 to 6000 which is close to the white output of headlights. The all terrain version has a row of leds that look nice but I have the standard round housing.

· Registered
197 Posts
^^^ yes those are sweet. A little pricey but I guess you get what you pay for. Thanks!

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
you'll feel the chug just before a grade as your putting your applying the gas, if you floor it no chug, if you drive normally you feel the chug, the more I feel it the more I realize its a transmission programming problem , Anyone who has snowmobiled it feel like a when your belt has been burnt in one spot,

· Registered
4,368 Posts
My '15 2500 is pretty good. Regarding fog lights, if they aren't yellow, they aren't fog lights. Just supplemental driving lights. I have mine in yellow. The cut thru fog better than white, and for regular times, they highlight the road markings far better than white. Learned real quick while living in the interior of Alaska and dealing with ice fog that yellow is the only way to go. My pickup and my Cadillac both have yellow fogs. Wife even agrees it is much better than the while lights. She has trouble enough driving at night, and she thinks the yellow fogs make a killer difference all the time, whether bad weather or good.

Some have complained about headlight projection, but I lowered the back end by 2" so that it didn't look so much like a cat in heat and make it easier for this old beat up vet to get in and out of the back end and I think that really made a difference in headlight projection also without being too much to cause problems for oncoming drivers. Lowering the back by 2" didn't mess with hauling. I can throw a ton of material in the back and still the pickup just becomes level at that point. Not sure I would care for the LED version of lights. They may look neat, but functionality for the areas I use the pickup in means a lot more than cool factor. Deer and other critters don't give a rip about style.

The rural area that I drive it in, I have a preference for manual mode on the trans. Lots of hilly two lane stuff, gravel roads, etc and not letting the engine run too low makes a significant difference in performance and prevent gear hunting every time it goes up a grade. I find mine has the best balance of power and economy by running in the 2000-2200 RPM range. Which makes sense, as that is where the L96 6.0 reaches 90% of available torque. Combined with the 4.10 diffs, it is right in the best band for the stuff I deal with. Have averaged 14 mpg for the pickup's life (primarily on E15 fuel) and have pulled off 17-18 mpg a few times on road trips (Unloaded of course).

Wil have mine for a long, long time. I don't rack up a lot of miles on it per year, and the L96 6.0 and 6L90 trans has a very good longevity record. 300,000 mile is common with no major problems. if that is the case, I have a pickup that will be good for almost 30 years. Sure hope so. I like this one and don't even want to consider another for a long, long time.

· Registered
302 Posts
Copperhead said:
My '15 2500 is pretty good. Regarding fog lights, if they aren't yellow, they aren't fog lights. Just supplemental driving lights. I have mine in yellow. The cut thru fog better than white, and for regular times, they highlight the road markings far better than white. Learned real quick while living in the interior of Alaska and dealing with ice fog that yellow is the only way to go. My pickup and my Cadillac both have yellow fogs. Wife even agrees it is much better than the while lights. She has trouble enough driving at night, and she thinks the yellow fogs make a killer difference all the time, whether bad weather or good.

Some have complained about headlight projection, but I lowered the back end by 2" so that it didn't look so much like a cat in heat and make it easier for this old beat up vet to get in and out of the back end and I think that really made a difference in headlight projection also without being too much to cause problems for oncoming drivers. Lowering the back by 2" didn't mess with hauling. I can throw a ton of material in the back and still the pickup just becomes level at that point. Not sure I would care for the LED version of lights. They may look neat, but functionality for the areas I use the pickup in means a lot more than cool factor. Deer and other critters don't give a rip about style.

The rural area that I drive it in, I have a preference for manual mode on the trans. Lots of hilly two lane stuff, gravel roads, etc and not letting the engine run too low makes a significant difference in performance and prevent gear hunting every time it goes up a grade. I find mine has the best balance of power and economy by running in the 2000-2200 RPM range. Which makes sense, as that is where the L96 6.0 reaches 90% of available torque. Combined with the 4.10 diffs, it is right in the best band for the stuff I deal with. Have averaged 14 mpg for the pickup's life (primarily on E15 fuel) and have pulled off 17-18 mpg a few times on road trips (Unloaded of course).

Wil have mine for a long, long time. I don't rack up a lot of miles on it per year, and the L96 6.0 and 6L90 trans has a very good longevity record. 300,000 mile is common with no major problems. if that is the case, I have a pickup that will be good for almost 30 years. Sure hope so. I like this one and don't even want to consider another for a long, long time.
I've been meaning to ask you.I Though I read somewhere you pulled your rear blocks.I checked mine and no rear blocks.Did I read wrong and you used drop shackles?

· Registered
19 Posts
ZEEGMC4ME said:
I have a 2016 GMC hd2500 and it has LEDs behind the projector and they are very good. I have not experienced any chug but it does not fel as strong as i expected. But I only have 500 miles on her so its not really broken in. Looking at a diabalo tune if there is one available. Still getting used to all the gadgetry but I use the speech assist whenever possible. You can choose options on the driver info screen. I think there is a miles to empty but i am still looking for the trans temp.
On my 2016 GMC Denali the trans temp gauge pops up on the screen when you push the tow mode button on the transmission stalk.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.