Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

· Premium Member
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up a black on black 1500 WT 4x4 2017 Silverado with a few extras on it. It is a replacement for the 2008 Silverado that was just written off. Although the reviews I've read seem to indicate it is a decent truck, I'm wondering if anyone else has one and or has heard anything good or bad about them. I'm not crazy about the 6 speed Trans or how it shifts but maybe that's because I'm use to my 08. Comments are most welcomed

· Member Extraordinaire, Servicemen, How-To Author
16,428 Posts
I really like the six speed on my 2013. I am sure you will really start to like the truck after you have put some miles on it.

· Supr Moderator AutoTech SS-Guru Mbr Extraordinaire
2015 High Country Duramax
19,445 Posts
So I take it its a 4.3l then being as it's a wt trim?

The new 4.3 is pretty impressive to me. The numbers put it in line with the older 5.3 motors.

But really the 2017 is the same as the 2014-2017 since it's the same mechanics with a new front end. Obviously there are a few other differences, but almost all are cosmetic.

So you can look around on here for threads on the 2014+ trucks and that will cover yours as well.

K2xx is the body style.

Me personally, I like the 6 speed over the 4 speed. I think it helps with the higher gear ratios they put in these trucks now. All the ones I've driven have shifted fine. They do shift more often, but a tune will take care of that along with the poor throttle response.

· Member Extraordinaire, How-To Author, TOTM
22,227 Posts
Yep i think the my new 6 speed is far superior to the 4 speed that was in my 08. You will get used to it since it's new, but you won't regret it. And being that it's a 2017, most of the bugs are worked out of them since 2014

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Premium Member
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mine was fitted with the 5.3 direct injection. I found the V6 to be a little noisy and lacking power for what i need. The 5.3 drops to 4 cylinders when its not under load from what i understand which should help with fuel mileage and It's super smooth and quite on the highway and i really don't notice a drop in cylinders. I have an Edge 85150 programmer to put on it and agree that will change shifting some.

· Member Extraordinaire, Servicemen, How-To Author
16,428 Posts
If you have a tuner for the truck, do yourself a favor and tune out the AFM (4 cylinder de-activation). You won't suffer a significant fuel mileage drop if at all and your truck and you will be much happier. You bought 8 cylinders for a reason, use them all and lose the risk of the AFM messing up your motor.

· TOTM
6,243 Posts
^^agreed. I turned mine off using a Range and haven't noticed much if any loss in fuel mileage.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

· Registered
559 Posts
Speedcorpse said:
.....The 5.3 drops to 4 cylinders when its not under load from what i understand which should help with fuel mileage and It's super smooth and quite on the highway and i really don't notice a drop in cylinders.....
If you have your dash display on average fuel economy there is an indicator for when it is running V4.

· Registered
559 Posts
esox07 said:
......tune out the AFM (4 cylinder de-activation).....your truck and you will be much happier......lose the risk of the AFM messing up your motor.
How did this idea get started? Who has any proof that the AFM has any negative effects in the current engines? Did the tuner providers start this to drive their sales? Or is this just one of the many unsubstantiated internet "opinions"?

22,227 Posts
GR2017 said:
esox07 said:
......tune out the AFM (4 cylinder de-activation).....your truck and you will be much happier......lose the risk of the AFM messing up your motor.
How did this idea get started? Who has any proof that the AFM has any negative effects in the current engines? Did the tuner providers start this to drive their sales? Or is this just one of the many unsubstantiated internet "opinions"?
Would you please do your own research on this rather than comment on everyone's post asking for proof afm is a poor design.

· Registered
289 Posts
[
If you have your dash display on average fuel economy there is an indicator for when it is running V4.[/quote]
WT do not have this feature, at least my 14 doesnt and im glad . cant tell when its it v8 or v4 and dont care the afm works fine.35,000 miles and no issues
The shifting will smooth out once you learn how to drive it.

22,227 Posts
Because it's one of the post beaten subjects on the forum and no need to fully explain it on every thread. A simple google search will provide you with more than enough answers.

· Registered
1,052 Posts
AFM in the 2014+ hasn't shown any big issues yet to my knowledge, but I still hate the way it drives. Especially in town. I'd like to see best of both worlds and the ability to disable it in town only (speeds under 55). That's where I hate it the most.

22,227 Posts
There was a guy who posted the other week with one of the first oil consumption issues I have seen on the new ecotec engines. It's not a risk I'm willing to take. Especially considering the mpg gain on or off is negligible.

· Registered
13 Posts
ferraiolo1 said:
There was a guy who posted the other week with one of the first oil consumption issues I have seen on the new ecotec engines. It's not a risk I'm willing to take. Especially considering the mpg gain on or off is negligible.

i'll be keeping an eye on this. what are some of the better tuners out there for this truck? or should I google that too? :mrgreen:

1 - 20 of 57 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.