Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Silverado Z71 3 inch lift new motor upgraded tranny
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a question so I just bought a motor for my truck a used one but today when I was installing I noticed my new motor does not have vvt can't believe I didn't see it but what do I need to do to still install in my truck 2012 Silverado thank you

·
Registered
2004 Sierra 3500 6.0L, auto, extended cab, cab&chassis, upgraded to 4wd
1,914 Posts
you may want to figure out the generation engine you bought. I believe if it's from an earlier generation than your original engine, it's a much bigger job to modify the engine to work (crankshaft reluctor wheel has different number of notches, as well as other bits on the engine).

If it's like this, you probably will want to just sell it and get another engine that's for your truck...

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
I got a question so I just bought a motor for my truck a used one but today when I was installing I noticed my new motor does not have vvt can't believe I didn't see it but what do I need to do to still install in my truck 2012 Silverado thank you
If the engine is one of the earlier 2007-2009 motors without VVT, you can turn that off in the tune. If its a Gen III engine, forget it, it's going to take a lot of adapters and computer work to get it running and frankly is not worth the hassle.

Reactions: Sperry

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
The engine came out of a 2008 GMC Sierra so I should be good righ?
Yes, if you are keeping AFM, and the camshaft in your original engine is good, you could swap cams and front covers and retain VVT if that is important to you. No need to turn it off in the tune then.

Reactions: elovato1216

·
Administrator
7,786 Posts
Perfect time to eliminate all the AFM garbage before you drop the engine in place.

Reactions: swathdiver

·
Registered
2012 Silverado Z71 3 inch lift new motor upgraded tranny
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah I think I'm going to do that I just want to put truck back to stick for the moment so I got an engine for sale lol any body looking .

1 - 8 of 8 Posts