Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I am scheduled to pick up my brand new 2021 Silverado 2500HD High Country. I currently own, and am trading in a 2016 1500 Z71. I have owned a few pick ups, mostly Chevrolet, and all gas engines. I am familiar with diesels from my work experience, but this will be my first one now that my business needs call for something a bit bigger and stronger than a half ton. I am, of course, excited as heck. What are some of the first things I should be doing/thinking about? Any tips or things I should know? Should I be keeping it under 55 on the way home?

·
Super Moderator
2015 High Country Duramax
18,610 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

First thing I'd do is start running a good fuel additive. Optilube xpd is my recommendation.

As far as speed, don't baby it. Load it down and work it, varying the speed and load. Diesels, especially emissions equipped diesels, need to be worked. I'm not saying beat the tires off it, but no need to baby it along. You'll just be doing the truck a disservice if you do.

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
You don't need to "do" anything, as in modifying.
Read the manual- there is more to modern diesel maintenance than a gasoline engine.
Watch out for drivetrain leaks. Almost every HD pickup I've bought has leaked on the front passenger-side CV shaft pinion seal within 10k miles of new. That's all warranty. Just look out for those things early.
Stay on-schedule with the all-fleet changes and zerk geasings. Without daily heavy work, you won't need to do anything until past 50k miles.
The batteries and wiper blades will need to be replaced before the brake pads- I'm at nearly 100k miles on the original brakes on the 2013 2500HD and not dead yet.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok thanks for the advice guys.

·
Registered
849 Posts
OP,
Welcome, you will love the Duramax platform! drive it and enjoy the beast!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts