Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had a 1999 4Runner for 10 years and finally fulfilled a lifelong dream of getting a Silverado or Sierra after the 4Runner was plaguing me with rough idle and pinging that I couldn't seem to fix.

2003 Sierra SLT Z71 with 87,500 miles. Before I bought it the dealer replaced the windshield and put on new tires - Masterfraft Courser ATX. I'm more of a Michelin guy but these look good and ride smooth so will work for now.

When I test drive it I noticed the oil pressure was pegged. A quick search told me culprit was probably oil sending unit so I wasn't too worried about that. Knocked it out this past weekend.

Other than that I replaced a worn volume knob and a missing SLT badge.

Plan to keep it mostly stock. May eventually try a power programmer to help with mpg. Nashville rush hour traffic has been painful. Averaging 13.4 mpg. Oh well, it's a truck!

Cheers

· Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Said goodbye to the GM world recently as I was given a 2018 F150 company vehicle. Very interesting being able to compare different brands 15 years apart in age.

I didn’t realize how used to the loose steering, old suspension and interior rattles I had gotten in the Sierra until driving a 3 year old truck.

The biggest thing I’ve noticed though is reliability. I have every service record for the Sierra. All it required was both front bearing assemblies replaced, AC recharged, and a new fuel pump. OVER 18 YEARS! Amazing.

The Ford burns oil like it’s going out of style (5.0), regularly misses gears in the 10 speed, occasionally has super hard shifts, and makes all kinds of odd noises, oh and due to a recall, the rear doors sometimes won’t stay closed if it’s below freezing out.

I’ll miss my GMC. But it’s hard to complain about a free truck in this environment. Cheers to all you GM folks. I’ll probably be back one day.

· Premium Member
555 Posts
Said goodbye to the GM world recently as I was given a 2018 F150 company vehicle. Very interesting being able to compare different brands 15 years apart in age.

I didn’t realize how used to the loose steering, old suspension and interior rattles I had gotten in the Sierra until driving a 3 year old truck.

The biggest thing I’ve noticed though is reliability. I have every service record for the Sierra. All it required was both front bearing assemblies replaced, AC recharged, and a new fuel pump. OVER 18 YEARS! Amazing.

The Ford burns oil like it’s going out of style (5.0), regularly misses gears in the 10 speed, occasionally has super hard shifts, and makes all kinds of odd noises, oh and due to a recall, the rear doors sometimes won’t stay closed if it’s below freezing out.

I’ll miss my GMC. But it’s hard to complain about a free truck in this environment. Cheers to all you GM folks. I’ll probably be back one day.
Borrowed a family member's loaded '09 F150 5.0l for a quick one day parts run to L.A. from Phoenix and back as fast as I could pulling a large enclosed trailer. Gotta say, that thing was impressive. Wish I had had a dash cam - whipping thru LA traffic like I was driving a Porsche, then foot to the floor across the desert on the way back. Got the job done and quickly.

· Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Borrowed a family member's loaded '09 F150 5.0l for a quick one day parts run to L.A. from Phoenix and back as fast as I could pulling a large enclosed trailer. Gotta say, that thing was impressive. Wish I had had a dash cam - whipping thru LA traffic like I was driving a Porsche, then foot to the floor across the desert on the way back. Got the job done and quickly.
Yeah with 395hp and 400 lb ft she is pretty zippy for a full size.

· Premium Member
555 Posts
Yeah with 395hp and 400 lb ft she is pretty zippy for a full size.
Definitely. The rest of the truck worked darn well too. He lucked out finding that thing used - 90k miles and the prior owner took great care of it. Arizona is one of the preferred places to pick up a used truck if she's well cared for. They look practically brand new underneath even 10+ years later.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.