Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,
Been lurking awhile and getting tips while working on my 2001 Silverado 2500HD...not quite done but very close. Figured since i should regiester and say thanks to all who put up the great info on here..

Attachments

· Registered
429 Posts
Welcome to the site! I always like seeing 8.1 trucks on here. Looks like you've got a good one there. I'm really liking that bumper.

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks gents,
That ICI magnum bumper is pretty impressive..looks very well made.

Actually, it is my first time doing most of this stuff, so its a little slow going at times, but its getting there. Finding the Protec bed was tough....i had to piece it together from wrecks and fabricate a little bit, repair some cracks too.... But its a cool bed for the northeast's rust issues.

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks guys, appreciate the compliments, questions and feedback!

The bed bolts were easy to get off, but i had a powerful airgun...i think by hand mightve been a different story since the original bed was pretty substantially rusted. I ended up buying 8 new bolts becasue the threads were very thin due to rust, and i had to cut one bolt off. The tailgate is part of the composite Protec bed that was an option on the 1500s back in 2002-03, which i pieced together, refurbished, painted and installed.

· Registered
310 Posts
Its coming along great! Thanks for the response, I'd be using a impact gun so thats good to hear. but i'll probably end up buying all new bolts then!

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I probably couldve reused a few of the bolts...but it didnt seem worth risking it. Im not sure they had enough thread to grab the nut securely. But as far as removing, 7 came off with the impact gun, one i had to cut off because the bolt that was welded to the bed rail broke loose and was just spinning. Otherwise it wasnt a big deal on mine...

· Registered
310 Posts
I'm planing on taking it off to grind down the areas of surface rust than paint it in por15 (or something along that line) and i figured might as well throw a body lift while I'm at it. so i'm probably better off getting new bolts. Glad to hear that yours came out freely, it gives me some reassurance lol

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I didnt do the body lift, but basically did the same type of thing. I used zero-rust instead of por-15, but same idea...i also ended up finding a few other things that needed replacement...rear shocks, fuel lines were weeping through, fuel filler neck etc...just lots of little things

· Registered
310 Posts
Thanks for the heads up, I'm going to check all the guts underneath...might as well get it all done when the beds off!...Or thats just my excuse to go over budget lol

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.